Setting up my V-Synth GT with a DAW.

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Phil77

Setting up my V-Synth GT with a DAW.

Post by Phil77 » Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:43 pm

Hi all,

I'm a novice at setting up my system and would like some help.

I am using the following Equipment:
  • Windows PC (Ableton Install)
  • Roland V-Synth GT
How Do I connect the two together, so I can write and record music into the DAW?

Previously I used the Cakewalk UA-1G, but it only allowed me to record and the quality gave me heaps of static feedback.

I'm also in the market to buy an Ableton Push (so if this can help me with the set up let me know).

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Re: Setting up my Synth with a DAW.

Post by meatballfulton » Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:26 pm

The Push will not help with setting up the synth.

Be specific about what are you are asking, please:

-- You do not know how to connect the synth to Live

-- You have connected the two but it's not working at all or only partially
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

Phil77

Post by Phil77 » Sat Sep 01, 2018 4:09 pm

I want to use my Vsynth GT as a Midi Controller on Ableton Live.

I don't know what cables, DACs or other hardware I require

I don't know what preferences options to install or to set on ableton.

meatballfulton

Post by meatballfulton » Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:54 pm

If you just want to use it as a MIDI controller and do not plan to ever use it as an audio source, just get the Roland USB drivers, install them and hook the GT up to your computer with a USB cable. Done.

If you want to record the audio out of the GT, that requires an audio interface. If this is the case, let us know.

In Live's Preferences you set your audio and MIDI interfacing up. If using the USB connection, the GT will show up in the list of MIDI inputs and outputs. Each input and output has three check boxes, set the first to On and the others to Off. For audio, connect the GT audio outs to your interface inputs. That interface will also connect by USB and will show up in the Preferences pane where you select it as your audio input and output device.

Once the preferences are set, you will be able to select the audio and MIDI ins and outs in each track.

Read the Live manual and come back here if you have specific questions about any step outlined in the manual on how to set up the preferences.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

Phil77

Post by Phil77 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:27 am

I am interested in setting up the synth connection as both the MIDI and Audio output.

Audio Interface:
Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 USB Audio Interface w/ Pro Tools & Ableton Live (Generation 2)

I believe this option should provide me with both Midi and Audio interface connection from my Synth to PC.

***EDIT***
I am more or less confused because the Roland GT Synth also comes with USB connectors:

Last edited by Phil77 on Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tekhed66
Gear: Roland JD990
Roland JD800
Roland XV5080
Roland SH01A
Behringer DM12
Yamaha An1x
Studiologic Sledge 2
Korg Triton Rack
Korg M1
Korg Radias
Akai s5000
Band: The Creepy Uncles

Post by Tekhed66 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:49 pm

First of all, go to the Ableton site and watch their 'Learn Live' videos.... based on your post, you should start at the 'how to setup Live' set of videos... in it, you'll see one video on how to correctly configure your Scarlett 6i6 in Live (it's called 'Setting Up An Audio interface')... after that, you should have a clearer understanding on how to plug an instrument into your interface and also setting up the corresponding channel in Live to receive audio.

Dont bother with Push until you've mastered the basics in Live!!!!!

Live videos are at:
https://www.ableton.com/en/live/learn-live/

Focusrite/Scarlett videos are at:
https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en-gb

btw: the Scarlett 6i6 comes with Mix Control software which is the most user unfriendly piece of you know what out there (I have a 6i6 and hate that software) ... you can more or less use the 6i6 straight out of the box without using Mix Control

btw #2: if you havea first gen 6i6, Focusrite have released a firmware upgrade that effectively turns it into a 2nd gen 6i6 with much lower latency and more overall goodness:
http://beta.focusrite.com/

Phil77

Post by Phil77 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 1:02 pm

I don't currently have any Audio Interface systems

Please recommend one if you know any quality Audio interfaces?

Required Specs:
•3 Input connections (Synth stereo [2]) (Microphone[1])
•2 Headphone Outputs
• Easy to use software/drivers

Tekhed66
Gear: Roland JD990
Roland JD800
Roland XV5080
Roland SH01A
Behringer DM12
Yamaha An1x
Studiologic Sledge 2
Korg Triton Rack
Korg M1
Korg Radias
Akai s5000
Band: The Creepy Uncles

Post by Tekhed66 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 1:11 pm

Phil77 wrote:I don't currently have any Audio Interface systems

Please recommend one if you know any quality Audio interfaces?

Required Specs:
•3 Input connections (Synth stereo [2]) (Microphone[1])
•2 Headphone Outputs
• Easy to use software/drivers
You need an audio interface to bridge the gap between your DAW and your instrument/microphone... the interface converts audio (from your instrument or microphone) into computer-speak so it can be used by your DAW:

audo ---> interface ---> DAW

There are many brands of interfaces out there... Focusrite make the excellent Scarlett range of interfaces but if you do some research, you'll find many others.

Don't mean to be rude but it sounds as if you are fumbling in the dark.... best bet is to first watch the videos to help put a few pieces of the jigsaw together and see the sort of equipment that you'll need (and understand the terminology) and also how to use it.... also search for 'how to record' videos on you tube (there are gazillions) and they'll walk you through the steps.. it's not hard but you need to study up a little bit first.

Phil77

Post by Phil77 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:01 pm

I'll have a look at the videos, and definitely will continue on my research, I just didn't know whether my synth has an inbuilt Audio interface that already can convert the information to USB.

View above the Image about USB connectors in the V synth GT manual.

meatballfulton

Post by meatballfulton » Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:11 pm

Apparently the V-Synth GT does allow audio over USB. Without digging through the manual it's unclear if you can route external audio (via the mike jack for instance) out through USB or not.

I'm a Mac user and Mac OS allows "aggregating" multiple audio interfaces to act as one. Maybe a current Windows user can confirm whether or not the latest Windows OSes allow this. Otherwise you have to switch between interfaces which is a PITA...restarting the DAW, etc.

As moderator, I'm going to retitle this thread in hopes that some V-Synth users will chime in.

Phil77

Re: Setting up my V-Synth GT with a DAW.

Post by Phil77 » Mon Sep 03, 2018 9:34 am

It mentions that the USB cable will transfer Midi and Audio data, after you install the V-synth GT driver on your PC.

HOWEVER, they stopped updating the driver at windows 8.1, so my current version of windows (10), will not allow me to make use of the USB option.

I personally Prefer windows over OSX and other options such as linux for the time being.

So I guess my best option would be to find a solid Audio Interface with Midi transfer as well.

meatballfulton

Post by meatballfulton » Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:20 pm

Have you actually tried to install the driver? A lot of people find that older drivers will still work in Win10. It's worth trying, even if you only use it for MIDI.

gridsleep
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Das Vorlagengehirn
Band: Big Steam Horse

Post by gridsleep » Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:40 am

I tried the V-Synth GT USB route a long time ago. The driver does not work with Windows 10. There is a USB driver for OS X 10.8, and as mentioned Windows 8. That's as far as it goes.
Nymph, in thy orisons be all my synths remembered.