Advice for a pianist interested in making electronic music?

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.

Re: Advice for a pianist interested in making electronic mus

Postby mitya33 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 6:14 pm

Thanks Madtheory. That's pretty much the conclusion I'd reached too. It's weird: everything says get the Kronos yet some indefinable part of me is drawn to the Stage. Just so gorgeous, and it turns out twiddling knobs is fun ;-) I realise this is a bit "can you tell me if my shoes fit" but that's where I'm at right now. The Stage's low multitimbrality is probably the only thing stopping me getting it right now. Presumably that has implications on its capabilities as a sound design tool.

I'll get there soon - perhaps flip a coin :)

PS then there's the Kurzweil PC3, which I've just discovered but seems hard to get hold of in the UK. Looks sweet though.

Thanks as ever.
mitya33

Postby madtheory » Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:13 am

mitya33 wrote:I realise this is a bit "can you tell me if my shoes fit" but that's where I'm at right now.

I hear ya :D :D

Ya the Nord is very immediate, perfect for you starting out. Look you can always add a hardware sequencer and a desktop synth or three later, using MIDI. That'd be a cool rig. All dials, little or no menu diving.

I'd love to retrofit those Nord pitch and mod controllers to my Akai MX-1000. They're so great.

The Kurzweil is pretty much the Kronos. Very f**k ing powerful and cool synthesis engine, but arguably more opaque than the Korg.

We will need to hear the music you make ASAP. No pressure! :lol:
madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Cabaret Voltaire, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, thermostat, Buck Owens Moog.
Band: Minim

Postby mitya33 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 9:57 am

Ha no pressure at all, then. I have some stuff up at Soundcloud but the piano sound isn't great. Hence I'm looking to upgrade.

https://m.soundcloud.com/andrewcroxall

With the Nord, would I be able to use that trigger programs/loops on external synth, drum machines etc? Can all these mega machines trigger each other? I've read things to that effect but not sure what the correct terminology is for what I'm describing. Midi thru, possibly?

So I could be playing the Nord, but also want a drum track behind it from a separate box. That sort of thing. Is that a common setup or am I thinking about it wrong?

Continued thanks
mitya33

Postby clubbedtodeath » Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:57 pm

Yes. As well as using the Nord as a synthesiser in its own right, you can use it as a controller keyboard.

Every multitrack sequencer I can think of can reroute notes back out to other kit, as you play them in - MIDI thru, as you say.

PS. Lovely playing, by the way. A better piano sound, some production, and those tracks would sound fantastic.

Cheers
clubbedtodeath
Expert Member
Expert Member

Postby madtheory » Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:45 am

Agreed, great playing. You'll love a sequencer.
madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Cabaret Voltaire, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, thermostat, Buck Owens Moog.
Band: Minim

Postby mitya33 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:26 am

Thanks, guys, very kind :-)
mitya33

Previous

Return to Buyer's Guide