problem with Yamaha DX21

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.

problem with Yamaha DX21

Postby dtmttran » Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:25 am

Recently i've purchased a Yamaha DX21, the owner said that it wasn't outputting any sound, so it was somewhat cheap. Later I figured some controls weren't working and also the characters on the screen seem scrambled. I've figured that probably the rom is corrupted or something of the sort. Any ideas on what's ocurring? I've really been looking forward to playing on this little guy.
dtmttran

Re: problem with Yamaha DX21

Postby cake100 » Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:59 am

I too had an issue with mine and the members here helped me resolve it quickly:

https://yamahamusicians.com/forum/viewt ... &start=480
cake100

Re: problem with Yamaha DX21

Postby Kentronix » Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:15 am

Battery backup failed perhaps ?

I had this on my DX11, swapped the battery and did a system reset and its now fully functional.

I took pics of what I did so although it wont be exactly the same it will give you an idea, first up I would look for details of how to do a reset, IIRC I had to turn the DX11 on while holding certain keys down. After this it functioned but would then fail every time I turned it off, until I swapped the battery. The screen was corrupt although I could cycle through different corrupt instruments. Most were silent although some made odd screeching noises.
Find the date of your vintage Roland gear
Kentronix

Gear: ABL3. Waldorf Rocket, MicroBrute, Volca Bass x 2, Volca Keys, Volca Beats, Rhythm wolf, Boss DR-550, Korg Delta, Yamaha DX-11, Roland D110, Reaper DAW

Return to HELP!