best (affordable/free) loop point software?

Discussions about anything related to samplers and sampling techniques.
part12studios

best (affordable/free) loop point software?

Post by part12studios » Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:21 am

Hi everyone,

I am seeing if my old Sound Forge 10 (Sony light version) has actual "loop points".. ugh.. nm.. apparently they abandoned it (no registration server up anymore) which is a shame.. it was basically soundforge 4.5 simple but it did a good job still.

Apparently Audacity doesn't support this and I'd like to edit some samples because my Peavey SP supports loop points.

Zero-X does a good job but I can't seem to find a way to get a full version.. like please take my money.. but there seems to be a bit of a hunt to find a legit owner of the software these days..

So I thought I'd look to see if anyone has any knowledge of a good (ideally free / affordable) solution for making wavs that have loop points. Zero-X seemed like the best option I could find, but being stuck with a demo version that won't let me save my work is a bit of a downer..

my searching has often come up with programs for DJ's or Ableton but these are loop based composition programs, not wav editors.

Thanks,
Caleb

part12studios

Re: best (affordable/free) loop point software?

Post by part12studios » Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:58 am

I found a program called Waveosaur that's free (abandoned) and it seems promising, except i can't seem to get it to play from the start and then loop at the loop points. I can loop at the loop points and they do save properly (opened in zero-x) but yea seems like it won't play from start.. can kinda work around that though.. it does play at least in the loop points so it's a minor detail.

blueknob
Gear: ESi32/E6400U, Novation Supernova, Ensoniq (a shedful), vintage Macs, Hamm C3/122

Post by blueknob » Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:56 am

I'm not quite sure of your situation,have you tried SampleWrench?

part12studios

Post by part12studios » Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:25 pm

oh yea i forgot about SampleWrench. I've been meaning to play with the Amiga version too.. but yes I have Mac, but I have Parallels / Windows XP to run it. I just got it / tried it out. I like Waveosaur better after playing with SW for a bit.

really though I need to find a copy of zero-x.. may have to hunt around the darker side of the web since it appears to be abandonware by the creator..

PabstBlueRibbon
Gear: Roland RD700sx - SRX04 + SRX10
Roland TB-03
KORG MicroKORG
E-MU ESI 2000 - 128 MB, Turbo Board

Post by PabstBlueRibbon » Sat Dec 22, 2018 3:28 am

You should check out the free SF2-editor Polyphone. Like other SF2-editors you can set loop points and export the samples in WAV. It's relatively easier to find seamless loop points manually because when you want to set the second loop point it also shows a part of the wave-form containing the first one.

It also contains the function to let the software find seamless loop points and a lot of more handy functions.
https://www.polyphone-soundfonts.com/en/documentation

In case you'll loose the loop points in the sample again (for example you've edited it an external sound-editor) you can set the loop points in the instrument settings as well.

~~~~~~~

Another free software I've found a while ago on Sorceforge is LoopAuditioneer. I haven't really tried it, though I've discovered it can find multiple loops in one singe sample, so you can pick out the one you prefer the most. There's a manual on its website.

part12studios

Post by part12studios » Sat Dec 22, 2018 5:49 am

well the good news is that with a little searching around i was able to buy zero-x from the creator for $40. money well spent.

i think the idea of manual being easy is only true for very simple waveforms.. what i have found that this software helps is finding loop point in complex tones.. that's where things get really tedious for manual approach.. if you have a PWM going on OSC1 and OSC2 has something different going on.. finding a loop point becomes much harder.

This program helps a lot with that. sure it's not perfect every time, but it's definitely going to find it after 4-5 tries and that's still a magnitude easier than trying this manually.. then say you have 4-5 octave samples for a single patch.. the work compounds.. i'm now able to do my octaves..

and it's nice because it does export loop points which my peavey sampler reads naturally so this is just really nice.. sometimes i have waves that might be a full recording, but using loop points also helps me shave off sound that normally would require a lot of extra tail for a natural fade out and now i can let the DCA be what controls the fade out.. not the recording itself.

I'll check that out but none of the hardware i have (old stuff) supports that format, so I'm pretty sure sound font outputs sound font files which i can't use. However maybe it has some export raw/wav options.

part12studios

Post by part12studios » Sat Dec 22, 2018 5:52 am

tomorrow i'll see if i can make some quick examples of the patches i've made.. i made the mistake of selling off my JX-8P before sampling it like i started doing before selling off many other older samples.. so i used a JX emulator.. forget it's name.. not an official JX8P but pretty close.. and it would import JX-8P patches.. which i happened to have backups of (that much i did thanks to midiquest) and recorded those octaves to turn into peavey synth patches.

part12studios

Post by part12studios » Sat Dec 22, 2018 4:06 pm

another good point about zero-x is that it also does a nice job crossfading automatically as well. this example shows two patches I made with it. the first one has some volume dipping. i'm still experimenting with it, but i can tell you it didn't take long at all to get these loops sounding good. The 2nd patch has some carry over from the crossfade which I just discovered as I was making this patch. i kinda like it but i'm going to see how to not have it in some other patches I plan on making.

If you were to try and manually loop sounds like this "earballing it" can prove to be very tricky to not get those obvious "chokes" where a harmonics and their phasing isn't in perfect timing with the loop point of the note and such.

I had a 3rd but i didn't sample it because i spotted some popping in one of the samples.. i'll have to redo that one..

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fk3u0kqb1eyj1 ... e.mp3?dl=0