I can't reproduce this sound !!

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
claclope

I can't reproduce this sound !!

Post by claclope » Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:05 pm

Hi
I'm new with all the synth stuff and i can't find how to make a particular sound / FX.
I think this is done with a synth it's a 0:04 in the song and it comes again (the kind of "tou tou"shot) .

Please if someone know how to reproduce this kind of song i really need help .

Thanks and best wishes for 2019

Kentronix
Gear: ABL3. Waldorf Rocket, MicroBrute, Volca Bass x 2, Volca Keys, Volca Beats, Rhythm wolf, Boss DR-550, Korg Delta, Yamaha DX-11, Roland D110, Reaper DAW

Re: I can't reproduce this sound !!

Post by Kentronix » Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:47 pm

Could easily be a drum machine too, its technically very similar to a bass drum or tom only higher pitch mod and higher pitch. The key to that is you need a pitch envelope.

What are you using to try to reproduce it ?
Find the date of your vintage Roland gear

claclope

Post by claclope » Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:46 pm

Thanks for your answer.
I was trying to reproduce the sound with a synth. I use Logic pro or Ableton (it's depends).
I didn't think about the drum i'll try put don't really no what and how to put a pitch envelope on this

Kentronix
Gear: ABL3. Waldorf Rocket, MicroBrute, Volca Bass x 2, Volca Keys, Volca Beats, Rhythm wolf, Boss DR-550, Korg Delta, Yamaha DX-11, Roland D110, Reaper DAW

Post by Kentronix » Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:19 pm

Ok, a pitch envelope is not that common so I googled for a free VST one just so I could show you. Its very rough but all I did was create a pitch envelope that roughly matches (high mod/amt, very short but non zero attack, shortish decay with no sustain or release), mucking around with a filter will get closer.

Here is the sound I made (ignore the vid, youtube insists):-

Using this free vst plugin:-
http://www.freesoundeditor.com/download ... _beta2.rar

The synth is nothing to do with me its just that it has a nice simple pitch env to muck around with so I could give you an example.
Here are my settings, and you play roughly a C1 note.

PS, you caught me on a night where I am very bored and looking for random things to do :)

claclope

Post by claclope » Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:47 pm

Wow :o :o :o :o , you're a god ! Why do you have only one star on the forum ?
I'm gonna try to download the vst and try this right now.
You don't how helpful you are !!!!

Thanks i'll tell you if it work well

Kentronix

Post by Kentronix » Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:57 pm

Ah its just forum politics y'know, the man keeping the little guy down :lol:

Nah, just kidding I havent been posting long. Its just an example to show you how to play around and get it closer, in reality I suspect they used a drum machine as pitch envelopes are more common because toms need them, as do most bass drums.

You can also do it by using a self oscillating filter but if you are new to synths thats a bit hard to grasp.

claclope

Post by claclope » Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:12 am

Just a thing, you recorded a tom before ? On which you applied the VST ?

I try to open the vst on logic it's not easy but i'm gonna spend some time to try it

Sorry for my english

claclope

Post by claclope » Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:15 am

Oh no ok the VST is for windows, i'll find something else

Kentronix

Post by Kentronix » Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:45 am

Oops, no, sorry that is a VSTi, an instrument that emulates a basic analogue synth not an effect, I fed nothing into it

Yep, I am windows running reaper as my DAW, there must be some that work in both that also have a pitch env.

claclope

Post by claclope » Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:50 am

Ok I think i understood (it maybe something easy ) you sample a sound of tom on which you apply the envelop filter ?
(Sorry the thing is that i'm a guitarist and try to understand pianist things so it's a bit hard a the beginning)
and also find a good synth to imitate the settings you've chosen to understand.

It's a bit of a challenge but the help you've bring is gold
Thanks

Kentronix

Post by Kentronix » Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:36 am

I am happy to help, I love trying to explain stuff :)

One way to go would be sample a sound and apply an fx, or you could just sample the sound itself directly from the record but it sounds like you want to understand it a bit more than just sample it. Am I right in thinking you want to learn this stuff or are you just hoping to reproduce it ? I am happy to get as close to that sound as I can for you so you can use it as a sample if that is what you are after, gratis of course.

The VST that I used is basically like an old synth but in software, not a sample but actually emulating the circuits, it emulates a simple oscillator (as per the core of an old synth) and then emulates the various circuits that a synth would have to process the sound. There is no sample to start off with, the very starting point of the sounds is an emulated circuit similar to like a moog or old drum machine does using various components. Google "virtual analogue" that make make more sense than I can :)

After that oscillator some emulated envelopes and filters are used to create a very similar final sound to what would have been made via real 70s electronics. Could be 80s but it sounds late 70s.

If you literally just want the sound for a cover or jamming then a simpler way to go is find a similar sample or I can make one for you.

Sorry this came at far more wordy than expected, I play guitar too but I got into synths at the same time. If you want to learn this stuff I am happy to find something that works on mac that you can play around with, if you just want a sample I also accept that challenge :D

Big Gnome
Gear: E-mu Proteus 2500
Ensoniq ESQ-1
Ensoniq VFX
SCI Prelude
Waldorf Blofeld
Band: The Nondescript

Post by Big Gnome » Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:49 am

This is an extremely simple sound to make--just use one oscillator set to a triangle wave, and modulate the pitch by around an octave to an octave and a half via an envelope with a fairly rapid decay, i.e., attack and sustain all the way down, decay (and optionally release) somewhere in the neighborhood of 500ms, depending on the envelope shape--use your ears here--and similar envelope settings for the amplifier. I hear a bit of "instability" in this patch as well which you can effect with a small amount of pitch modulation via noise for extra authenticity.
"Sure that's fine in practice, but what about in theory?"
Some of my c**p

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.
Band: Minim

Post by madtheory » Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:51 am

TAL Noisemaker is a free VST synth where you can send envelope to pitch. It's probably the best synth out there for learning synthesis. Works on Mac, and even on Pro Tools.

Kentronix

Post by Kentronix » Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:44 pm

madtheory wrote:TAL Noisemaker is a free VST synth where you can send envelope to pitch. It's probably the best synth out there for learning synthesis. Works on Mac, and even on Pro Tools.
Nice, not seen that before what a nicely laid out synth. I use the TAL bassline for sh101 style stuff but obviously it has no pitch env.

I knocked up a sound on noisemaker, all left as defaults apart from the non greyed out bits here, OSC2, Master and ADSR. Playing a D3 note is roughly right, its a starting point anyway.

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.
Band: Minim

Post by madtheory » Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:45 pm

Awesome! Yes it is well laid out. And it sounds pretty good too. Dual LFOand dual PWM FTW!