korg poly 800

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
mmoore5553

korg poly 800

Post by mmoore5553 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:20 am

I received a korg poly 800 and happy to get it back working. I am unable to power it on via the cord or battery. I did find the schematic and just started to look at it. I am needing help on getting it back to life.

I did check the voltage on the jack and have 11.7 volts. I then went and checked the diode -d2- as it had 11.7 volts coming out. I did unplug the unit and check the diode with continuity check and it looked good - infinite one direction and 576 in another. They were not the same so i went on to troubleshooting. I have limited skills on what to check but if you give me directions i can do whatever. I then looked at q1. I used the ground with the resistor and then measure the pins. I have 11.7 on one pin , 11.7 on the other pin , and then no volts. I thought that was odd.

I am not sure what to check next . I do not know how to check if the transistor is good or not. Any help would be appreciated. I hate to throw this away.

Also i noticed d1 was hooked to two double A batteries. I measured and got 3.17 volts. i thought it was odd there was not a diode present.

meatballfulton
Gear: Live 9, Logic Pro X

Re: korg poly 800

Post by meatballfulton » Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:20 pm

The AA batteries are some sort of modification. Perhaps someone trying to use it as memory backup instead of a button cell. Sounds like osomebody has been playing around with it.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

mmoore5553

Post by mmoore5553 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:05 pm

I talked to the owner and he said he did not modify it. He just said he used it for years and then all of a sudden it stopped working. He just kept it all these years. I said i would look at it and try to fix it and he gave it to me.

I am hoping to get it working

mmoore5553

Post by mmoore5553 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:38 pm

I took another look and it appears I am not getting five volts out of q1. I did check r5 and r6 for 5 volts and nothing. I did check d4 with meter on continuity and it showed almost the same when switching leads -756, I would think that is bad. Would you say that is bad ? I did check voltage and had 11 volts in on one side and nothing on the other.

any one have any ideas ?

Mooger5
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Mooger5 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:01 pm

this old thread should help. viewtopic.php?f=5&t=102594&hilit=poly+800+power

iirc it turned out to be oxidized contacts in the power connector switch

good luck
Herrare umanum est.