Roland Juno-1 failure. Magic smoke

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
hudkins

Roland Juno-1 failure. Magic smoke

Post by hudkins » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:32 pm

Warning, noob question follows:

I have a Roland Juno-1. I plugged it in and turned it on and there was this tremendous burning smell. I unplugged it as quickly as I could but before I took off the power I saw the display backlight still worked but there was no text. I don't know anything else at this point.

My electronics knowledge is pretty basic but I want to try and tackle the repair. I haven't opened it up yet to look for physical damage. I'd really appreciate some hints as far as what to look for. Also, if I'm able to repair it, I'm thinking re-capping it and I'm wondering if it would be worth it.

I do have the service manual.
Last edited by hudkins on Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mooger5
Expert Member
Expert Member

Re: Roland Juno-1 failure. Magic smoke

Post by Mooger5 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:13 am

Well, there is only one fuse inside and the display is still working, so the fuse is OK. It´s most likely a blown capacitor in the Power Supply board. The one labeled C14 probably. You really have to open up the unit and have a look inside. Don´t forget to unplug it from the mains.
Herrare umanum est.

Kentronix
Gear: ABL3. Waldorf Rocket, MicroBrute, Volca Bass x 2, Volca Keys, Volca Beats, Rhythm wolf, Boss DR-550, Korg Delta, Yamaha DX-11, Roland D110, Reaper DAW

Post by Kentronix » Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:12 am

My first step would be to go looking for blown capacitors around the PSU too. I dont know my way around the inside of a Juno-1 but wanted to post a picture of what a blown/vented capacitor looks like, they will either be completely obvious or have the tops vented as per this pic :-

Find the date of your vintage Roland gear

hudkins

Post by hudkins » Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:03 pm

Thanks both of you :) I looked and there was a blown cap in the power supply, as you both indicated. I've decided to go ahead and recap the whole thing for future proofing and they're in the mail.

Thanks!