M1000 Manager: An Oberheim Matrix-1000 Patch Editor

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
baz99

M1000 Manager: An Oberheim Matrix-1000 Patch Editor

Post by baz99 » Sat Apr 20, 2019 3:28 pm

I have just released the M1000 Manager, a modern looking, intuitive patch editor for the Oberheim Matrix-1000, for Windows and Linux.

The M1000 Manager is free of charge but donations are appreciated if you find the M1000 Manager useful.

The M1000 Manager has been optimized to reduce MIDI data traffic to the Oberheim Matrix-1000 in order to avoid overloading the notoriously slow processing unit inside the Matrix-1000. It also supports 'Unison Detune' which was added to the Matrix-1000 in the 116 firmware by GliGli.

This thread is meant as a support thread for the M1000 Manager.

If you have any questions about the M1000 Manager or need any help with it, then please feel free to ask them here, I will try to answer them as soon as I can.

You can find further information and download the M1000 Manager at the following link:
http://m1000-manager.linuxtech.net/

tomatoKetchup

Re: M1000 Manager: An Oberheim Matrix-1000 Patch Editor

Post by tomatoKetchup » Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:14 pm

Hey, good job on this piece of software! =D>

Very slick design, simple and effective. So far every parameter I've tested sends the right param/value to the M1000.

Just a question though. Is the editor able to recognize SYSEX strings coming at its Input MIDI and adjust sliders on-screen accordingly? I've tried that but it doesn't seem to work.

baz99

Post by baz99 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:55 am

tomatoKetchup wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:14 pm
Just a question though. Is the editor able to recognize SYSEX strings coming at its Input MIDI and adjust sliders on-screen accordingly? I've tried that but it doesn't seem to work.
I assume you mean recognize SYSEX strings coming from some separate hardware MIDI controller?
No, that's not currently implemented as it's far from trivial and TBH it's a bit beyond the scope of an editor.

BTW, the "Input MIDI Device" setting is supposed to be set to the MIDI output from the Matrix (so that the editor can read patches from the Matrix when pressing the "Read from" button), not to an external controller.

To quickly test sounds (if no MIDI keyboard is connected to the Matrix) the editor has an eight octave piano keyboard feature built in using your PC keyboard (Windows only, this does not work on Linux):
F1-F8 to select an octave and Z,X,C,V,B,N,M for white keys (bottom row of letter keys of your PC keyboard) and S,D,G,H,J for black keys, also works with German (QWERTZ layout) and French (AZERTY) PC keyboard layouts.

tomatoKetchup

Post by tomatoKetchup » Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:59 pm

baz99 wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:55 am
I assume you mean recognize SYSEX strings coming from some separate hardware MIDI controller?
No, that's not currently implemented as it's far from trivial and TBH it's a bit beyond the scope of an editor.
That's understandable. I was indeed trying to test a custom MIDI controller as it would have been easier to debug it with a visual feedback of every parameter than the M1000. Not a big issue though.
baz99 wrote:
BTW, the "Input MIDI Device" setting is supposed to be set to the MIDI output from the Matrix (so that the editor can read patches from the Matrix when pressing the "Read from" button), not to an external controller.
Got that, and it works wonder. Great way to dissect M1000 factory patches. :thumbsup:
baz99 wrote:
To quickly test sounds (if no MIDI keyboard is connected to the Matrix) the editor has an eight octave piano keyboard feature built in using your PC keyboard (Windows only, this does not work on Linux):
F1-F8 to select an octave and Z,X,C,V,B,N,M for white keys (bottom row of letter keys of your PC keyboard) and S,D,G,H,J for black keys, also works with German (QWERTZ layout) and French (AZERTY) PC keyboard layouts.
That's a very neat feature! Good to know.

I also wanted to ask you about programming the Mod Matrix. I inspected the Sysex strings using MIDI OX and I see that you always have to send a group of 3 values (source, amount destination) within every single Sysex string, which is quite a weird way the M1000 was programmed to... I assume that means any MIDI controller that can only send simple Sysex strings with only 1 variable byte won't be usable to program the mod matrix. Or is there a workaround using several chained strings that I'm not aware of?

baz99

Post by baz99 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:29 pm

tomatoKetchup wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:59 pm
about programming the Mod Matrix. I inspected the Sysex strings using MIDI OX and I see that you always have to send a group of 3 values (source, amount destination) within every single Sysex string
That's the only way I know of to change Mod Matrix values.
Or is there a workaround using several chained strings that I'm not aware of?
Not that I know of, but if you find a different way of changing Mod Matrix values then please let me know, as it will benefit the editor too if I could send shorter Sysex strings for the Mod Matrix.

nsemest182

Post by nsemest182 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:02 pm

Is it possible to assign parameters to be controlled via a Midi controller?

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:24 pm

nsemest182 wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:02 pm
Only using sysex (system exclusive messages), which most controllers do not support. Definitely not using CC messages.

There is a hardware modifcation that can be done which does allow CC control (also adds many new festures), the Kiwi 1000. It costs about $250 including shipping and requires at least basic electronic repair skills to install.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

baz99

Post by baz99 » Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:42 am

nsemest182 wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:02 pm
I assume you mean in the editor? No that isn't possible currently.