looking for sliding potentiometers for Casio RZ-1

The place for parts & services: Modifications, Spare Parts and Repair Services, Sample Packs, Accessories.
Forum rules
This forum follows the same rules outlined in Gear For Sale Rules and Guidelines

Moderators have the right to edit your posts to keep them within the framework of these rules.
part12studios

looking for sliding potentiometers for Casio RZ-1

Post by part12studios » Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:02 pm

I'm googling and going to a local radioshack-like place to see if they can help but I wondered if maybe someone here might know a nice place.

Here are pictures of the two 10k variable sliding resistors from the Casio RZ-1 1986

the smaller one is the volume for the 3,4 sample, the longer one is the sample input control (identical to the volume slider next to it).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/x259fvnl04ou9 ... 6.JPG?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/d008do1annwnn ... 7.JPG?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/abrt3i3txi7ae ... 8.JPG?dl=0

Thanks,
Caleb

xampla3

Re: looking for sliding potentiometers for Casio RZ-1

Post by xampla3 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:46 pm

Hi. Have you tried looking at the service manual? It has a parts list.
You can get the service manual here : https://www.manualslib.com/manual/98488 ... -Rz-1.html

xampla3

Post by xampla3 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:32 am

... oh wow!! i was 4 years too late!!! i just realized it!! i'd better see the post date first.. :oops:

part12studios

Post by part12studios » Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:05 pm

yea seems that the manual there is incomplete.. the last page is the diagram but there is no page that shows what part numbers go.. i see one of the parts I need is #19 but i can't find a chart that would show what part number #19 is. It's the very last page of the manual.. you'd think right next to it would be the part numbers for the various numbered pieces.

However it's a good suggestion, I've just had really bad luck finding parts for old stuff like this.. so much so that it felt kinda pointless to look for parts like this through traditional retail channels.. always seems like the parts that are bad are no longer made.. i know some things like standard knob pots have withstood the test of time, but interface things like sliders and screens seem to be constantly evolving.. so wondered if something might have something here..

Or people know some way to restore these parts.. feels like restoring them would be possible, but it apparently isn't so easily done.

batterycovermissing
Gear: Casio: CZ / VZ / FZ / GZ / HT / CT / MT / PT / SK / SA / DG / CTK etc

Post by batterycovermissing » Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:56 am

I think @gmeredith scannned the manual (i don't know if @ tags people in this???), maybe you can contact him on this forum and ask him to scan the missing parts list pages? They were probably custom made by ALPS in Japan for Casio, so you could check their website or email them once you have the part number. I don't think that many RZ-1's were even manufactured so they might not have bothered to get unique parts made, it is hard to tell...the same sliders might have also been used in a lot of casio's home keyboards at the time but without a part number it is hard to cross reference.

part12studios

Post by part12studios » Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:07 pm

I'm just not sure at this point. i believe i found a couple of manuals and they all seem to have the same "missing" page.. as in i'm thinking it's not missing.. maybe the parts were somehow found somewhere else.. i know it's not really logical that this is the case, but yea i'm not sure.

I know that they used the same CZ-1 volume slider is the same as the sample input and volume of it although it IS still different in that the stem that slides is extended on the RZ-1 i imagine the others are similar too but I couldn't find anything concrete.

In the meantime I just bypassed the 3,4 to be at full volume and the CZ-1 part i bought / installed works perfectly but a little shy of the casing so it's sunk in some.. but again. i just keep it at full volume and control the input from the sampling source which is fine. Unit is fully functional now other than the lack of sliding pots for 3,4 and sample input. Good enough. :)

batterycovermissing
Gear: Casio: CZ / VZ / FZ / GZ / HT / CT / MT / PT / SK / SA / DG / CTK etc

Post by batterycovermissing » Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:38 pm

glad you got it working, but I am pretty sure Graham bought the manual from WD Greenhill (can tell by the binding) and scanned it, and usually when Greenhill provides manuals they are complete, and the cover says "contains parts list" so you would expect that. Most people using the manuals are only interested in the other sections so often people don't bother to scan them. It would be cheaper to get sliders out of generic home keyboards than CZ-1's in any case. CZ-1 is pretty hard to find now so I doubt there would be many people parting them out. I tried to order the same manual from him but it seems he no longer sells his manuals.

part12studios

Post by part12studios » Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:28 pm

very true.. the slider i bought was on ebay. from a CZ-1 but yea totally agreed parts like this are rare to find.. and unfortunately the sliders for Casio of this generation are kinda odd.. they have 5 prongs for starters.. 2 being for place holding.. so it just isn't exactly generic for a 3rd party pot to come in.. i bought something close to it and while it could be made to work it wasn't exact and the guy i had help me was a TV repair guy so his dedication to see it rigged up wasn't as high as mine but seeing that i was asking him to do the work we compromised and got it as close to working as possible for the time being. :)

Mooger5
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Mooger5 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:18 pm

They do look like generic mono pots though the scale next to them makes the travel lengths appear confusing.
The sliders are the things for which there are no standards. So try to find the equivalent pots and carefully replace the new sliders with the old ones.
Herrare umanum est.