Decent amp for a beginner?

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
Kallano

Decent amp for a beginner?

Post by Kallano » Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:32 pm

I bought my first guitar and it's on the way, so I'd also like to buy an amp also. I'd like one that will sound decent but won't cost be a ton. I know under $200 won't get me much but I'm on a budget and I want to learn also.

The guitar is an Epiphone Les Paul Special 2 and I already have my dads Epiphone Sheraton so something that would fit well with these two guitars would be amazing! Thanks fellas.

Big Gnome
Gear: E-mu Proteus 2500
Ensoniq ESQ-1
Ensoniq VFX
SCI Prelude
Waldorf Blofeld
Band: The Nondescript

Re: Decent amp for a beginner?

Post by Big Gnome » Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:17 pm

A synthesizer forum is a pretty questionable place to ask about guitar amps, but as a guitarist myself, I'll try to help. It's difficult to say without knowing what sort of sound or style you had in mind though. I played a little 15W Fender when I was in college, which I quite liked, although the distortion was extremely weedy--cleans sounded really nice though. I played through Peavey solid state combos my first several years as well which I found to be decent all-rounders if a little uninspiring (I do still play through my old Bandit 112 which lives at my buddy's house when I play with him which is a little fussy to dial in but can sound quite nice; I think that's a little outside your price range though). I'm personally a fan of Pignose amps, although they have a very distinctive tone that ranges from raunchy to raunchier and may or may not be to your taste. I'm unaware of anything in that price range that'll give you really nice distorted tones though--you'd probably be better off looking to augment your rig with pedals if that's something that's important to you. The best advice I can give is to find a music store and play through a few and see if you really connect with anything there--the sound & feel of an amplifier is a really personal thing.

One alternate consideration: if you have access/are comfortable playing with music software, you should consider looking at amp simulators. It is definitely not the same experience as being in the same room as an actual speaker pushing actual air, but good ones these days sound and respond very accurately to physical amps. My personal favorites are the Kazrog Thermionik set (currently discontinued pending a major update) and the free and outstanding Ignite Amps stuff.

Good luck!
"Sure that's fine in practice, but what about in theory?"
Some of my c**p

meatballfulton
Gear: Live 9, Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:35 pm

Buy something used, you will get more for your money that way. Peavey is always a good choice, they are very reliable and sound good (not incredible, just good). A tube amp will cost you more money but you will probably be much happier with one if you can afford it.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

Hyde
Gear: Ensoniq Mirage-EPS-EPS16-ASR10
Ensoniq SQ1-SQ1+
Akai S2000
E-MU ESI2000
Band: Pindrive

Post by Hyde » Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:26 am

Are you playing in the bedroom? or in a band rehearsal situation? What type of music?

I have a really nice clone tube amp that rarely gets used in the house. Sounds amazing & is pretty loud from the getgo. For the house, I have a cheap little Fender Frontman 10g. It sounds pretty decent, clean. It has overdrive, if you so desire that. I've had a few amps for the home. Forget tube amps in the budget range. They will always be lacking. The 10g takes pedals really well. I run the tone controls both on 5-6, depending on the guitar/pickups etc. The real bonus here is that you can pick this amp up for $60 & have some cash left over for some cables, picks & a pedal of your choice that may help you with some flavor. 8-)

If you want to go a little bigger, as mentioned above, Peavey makes super reliable amps that sound great. & most people are trying to just get them off their hands. a lot of amp for the price, in most cases
Makin' Noises

Kallano

Post by Kallano » Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:13 pm

Thanks, guys :)