does anyone make replacement button surfaces for synths like the Kawai K3? (fixed picture)

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
part12studios

does anyone make replacement button surfaces for synths like the Kawai K3? (fixed picture)

Post by part12studios » Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:26 am

So I just got my hands on a K3 which I traded with a local fella for my (in better shape) K4.. the K3 I have is fully functional and sounds great, but it's got one issue..

https://previews.dropbox.com/p/thumb/AA ... ize_mode=5

to sum up, a few of those membrane buttons have cracked and fallen off. the buttons underneath them work fine, it's purely cosmtic, but I'd love to restore this to full visual glory to make it's auditory glory. Anyone know if someone prints material like this? templates or something?

I know I'm not the only guy with hardware from this era when those what i call "microwave buttons" have fatigued over the years. Feels like this might be fairly easy, but maybe i'm wearing rose tinted goggles in my exploration of this subject.

Any tips / advice would be welcome.

Thanks!
Caleb

gridsleep
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Das Vorlagengehirn
Band: Big Steam Horse

Re: does anyone make replacement button surfaces for synths like the Kawai K3? (fixed picture)

Post by gridsleep » Sat Nov 23, 2019 1:15 am

Go to Syntaur.com. They have K3 button tops in stock, $1.95 each.
ManualsLib.com has the K3 Service Manual for download as a PDF.
The picture link leads to a 401 error for me when I select it (not allowed.) Syntaur's catalog displays what appears to be a round button. If you are writing about the membrane panel, I think the entire panel would need to be replaced as a sheet. The part is listed in the manual as Sheet Panel/802399. If places like Syntaur or Guitar Parts don't have it, your only recourse might be to contact Kawai directly.

OK, did some searching and found a BBS exchange between someone with your problem and Syntaur in the Syntaur forum. Long story short, new K3 membrane sheet replacements are available from Sweet Discrete in the UK. https://www.sweetdiscrete.co.uk/store_- ... eplacement.
Nymph, in thy orisons be all my synths remembered.

part12studios

Re: does anyone make replacement button surfaces for synths like the Kawai K3? (fixed picture)

Post by part12studios » Sat Nov 23, 2019 2:58 am

omg that's amazing! sooooo cool. That is exactly what I need.

It's nice to see these can be made. I have to get this! Not cheap but not outrageous either.

I should have googled more, but thanks. I just didn't know if there was some obvious well known place for parts..

I have to remember syntar too.. I've been there before but forgot they are there because it seemed like anything i remember they had for what i needed in the past was always out of stock, but nice to see K3 parts are pretty good.

Thanks!
Caleb

part12studios

Post by part12studios » Sat Nov 23, 2019 3:55 am

bam! ordered. :)