MIDI controllers for piano and synths?

For computer based music makers. Discussions about plug-ins and stand alone computer synth gear.
Composition86

MIDI controllers for piano and synths?

Post by Composition86 » Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:08 pm

Hello, I'm looking for a midi controller that works perfectly with Logic Pro X. I will mainly play piano vsti, but also orchestral sounds and synths. More specifically:
-49 keys (37 if the controller is really amazing)
-I play piano so, ideally, weighted. If not weighted, I'd like a very good response, no plasticky feeling. Full sized keys, absolutely no shorter or thinner keys.
-Don't need many knobs, would appreciate some play/stop buttons.

To better address the question, I'd like something like the Alesis V49, but I'm afraid the software seems to be not ideal, according to some reviews. An other suitable model, could be the M-Audio CODE 49, but I don't know much about it. Any other advice? Thanks.

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Re: MIDI controllers for piano and synths?

Post by meatballfulton » Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:10 am

You won't find the action on either the Alesis or M-Audio to be up to your standards. You cannot find piano-weighted keys in any 49 key controller I can think of. The best action I've played in a 49 key controller is the Akai MPK49. It's weighted, but doesn't feel like a piano.

Sounds like space is an issue, because the best piano-like solutions in controllers are 88 key models, some of which have full hammer action keybeds..
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

Composition86

Re: MIDI controllers for piano and synths?

Post by Composition86 » Fri Feb 07, 2020 11:36 am

Hi, thanks for the suggestion. I don't really need a midi controller with a hammer action keyboard, but I would not mind having the feel of a piano keyboard. The AKAI you mentioned looks fine, but that's a bit too over-powered for me, I don't need those many knobs and sliders. I will check more items by AKAI.