VST hosts or Synths that host VSTs?

For computer based music makers. Discussions about plug-ins and stand alone computer synth gear.
80snostalgia

VST hosts or Synths that host VSTs?

Post by 80snostalgia » Fri May 01, 2020 7:35 pm

I'm mainly into hardware Synths but am interested in getting Gforce ARP Odyssey software, laptops and the freezing that software does to them! Spoils the experience.
Its also happened with Arturia software.
Is there a VST host hardware or something? Is there even a synth that can host VSTs with out lugging a laptop around?

Thanks for any info!

Kasey00

Re: VST hosts or Synths that host VSTs?

Post by Kasey00 » Sun May 03, 2020 4:01 am

Savihost is probably the simplest to use of all of those listed above. It was created for the sole purpose of automatically loading only one VSTi, is extremely quick to load, is light on system resources, is available in both 32-bit and 64-bit versions to suit whichever format of soft synth you're using, and also supports ASIO drivers for low latency during performance. You just unzip the Savihost file into the same folder as the DLL file for your VST instrument (in this case Omnisphere.dll), then rename the file Savihost.exe to the name of your instrument (so, in this case, Omnisphere.exe).

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Sun May 03, 2020 3:18 pm

Yes, there have been hardware hosts for VSTs. Every single one so far has been a market failure. The primary reason is that the computer OS technology is constantly changing, so a unit that works with today's VSTs won't work with tomorrow's. The CPU is too slow, not enough memory, unable to deal with licensing schemes, inability to deal with popup screens, etc.

Google VMachine, Receptor, Seelake AudioStation, Open Labs Neko for starters.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

80snostalgia

Post by 80snostalgia » Sun May 03, 2020 3:42 pm

meatballfulton wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 3:18 pm
Yes, there have been hardware hosts for VSTs. Every single one so far has been a market failure. The primary reason is that the computer OS technology is constantly changing, so a unit that works with today's VSTs won't work with tomorrow's. The CPU is too slow, not enough memory, unable to deal with licensing schemes, inability to deal with popup screens, etc.

Thanks I'll check those out.

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Post by Ashe37 » Sun May 03, 2020 3:59 pm

meatballfulton wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 3:18 pm

The thing is, realistically, if a PC maker with content creation and workstation experience would make these and use off-the-shelf parts , maybe it wouldn't fail. Yeah, i know, then you basically end up with a 2U windows PC... but anyway...

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Sun May 03, 2020 6:27 pm

That's essentially what the Neko was, but with keys. The computer components are pretty obvious. There's a DVD drive underneath the wheels. Price started at $5500...in 2005!!!! That would have bought you a Triton, Motif and Fantom plus maybe some change left over.

Sound On Sound Review from 2005

I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

desmond

Post by desmond » Sun May 03, 2020 6:37 pm

If you want a computer in a box with keys that makes sounds without having to connect it with an external computer... buy a synth. :)

80snostalgia

Post by 80snostalgia » Sun May 03, 2020 7:56 pm

meatballfulton wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 6:27 pm
That's essentially what the Neko was, but with keys. The computer components are pretty obvious. There's a DVD drive underneath the wheels. Price started at $5500...in 2005!!!! That would have bought you a Triton, Motif and Fantom plus maybe some change left over.

Sound On Sound Review from 2005

Looks nice though!

80snostalgia

Post by 80snostalgia » Sun May 03, 2020 8:02 pm

desmond wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 6:37 pm
If you want a computer in a box with keys that makes sounds without having to connect it with an external computer... buy a synth. :)
Lol very true, but it's like buying an album from the 90s you find 5 songs you like and buy a whole album. I'd be buying 5 more Synths lol.