Help id Ace Tone synth

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
Swab

Help id Ace Tone synth

Post by Swab » Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:14 am

hi everybody
Got this old Ace Tone SY100 and im thinking about Selling it, but i dont know anything about it and cant fint any info on it anywhere..
Anyone of you know anything about it and its worth i would appreciate it :)
See pictures
Attachments
0AF6A4C0-A304-47D5-A9A4-684E9E0E93F6.jpeg
C25A04CE-750C-4C94-B28C-8DFFC3D67D37.jpeg
A9234223-D3D3-40B6-84BE-1BDD1DFB35E7.jpeg

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Wurlitzer Opus 1536, Model F, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.

Re: Help id Ace Tone synth

Post by madtheory » Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:45 pm

Wow. Amazing. Never ever heard of it. Does it work?

Weirdofromouterspace
Gear: MFOS SLMS+ & Ultimate, TTSH, DX7IID, DX21, Minibrute, Poly-800, microKORG, microSAMPLER, Volca Beats & Bass, JX-03, Tr-8, Kawai K1, Jasper

Post by Weirdofromouterspace » Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:06 pm

Wow as well.

If that is indeed genuine (as it appears to be) you seem to have something super rare in your hand. Not even Wikipedia has it in their Ace Tone product list (=> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ace_Tone).
Perhaps even some kind of prototype?

I'd try and get in touch with Roland (the follow-up to Ace Tone, in a way) and see if they can shed some light on this.

In any case, don't sell it hastily. You might have a real gem and collector's item there, especially as it appears to be in good condition (at least optically; the electronics inside might need some (or even extensive) servicing after probably more than 45 years).
Don't forget to TURN ON THE SYNTHESIZER. Often this is the reason why you get no sound out of it. - ARP 2600 manual, 1971

synzoneau

Post by synzoneau » Mon May 04, 2020 1:01 am

Holy s**t batman :o You have something truly rare there, it doesn't even come upon any image search. Those are possibly the only pictures on the internet! Ace Tone later became Roland. There's only a text entry in wikipedia under Ace Tone products as the SY-100. The only other two synths under Ace Tone being the PS-1000 which is much better known and the Multistring SY-5. If you're going to sell this think you could pretty much ask whatever you'd like :D