Yamaha mt4x recording issue

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
mcoolf

Yamaha mt4x recording issue

Post by mcoolf » Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:17 am

Hi

So I'm recording on my yamaha mt4x mtr but certain channel is too low when I record

it's bit complicated so here's how

1) I'm recording on Track 1 so I plugged my gear to same channel and assigned it to Track 1

2) Monitor level seems okay but it's too low when I record

3) So I assigned it to Track 3, then recorded. and it was fine when I recorded it to Track 3

4)Then I plugged gear to Track 3 then assigned it to Track 1

5) Then same recording level was too low.

*plus I cannot adjust the volume with the fader with this channel

i read the manual again but still cannot figure out what's wrong and all the faders are same between other tracks

does any one might have idea with this? thanks

Rasputin

Re: Yamaha mt4x recording issue

Post by Rasputin » Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:07 pm

mcoolf wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:17 am
*plus I cannot adjust the volume with the fader with this channel
I think the best thing to do is to narrow down where the potential fault is by using a pre-recorded tape (New Kids on the Block?) to check the CUE bus, STEREO bus, and AUX SEND outs.

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Wurlitzer Opus 1536, Model F, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.

Re: Yamaha mt4x recording issue

Post by madtheory » Tue Jun 30, 2020 7:59 pm

My guess is you are confused between monitoring during recording, and monitoring the mix back off tape. The machine has several useful options so you should consult the manual.

Quick steps:
1. Make sure each channel is set either to "Tape" for playback and "Mic/ Line" for recording.
2. When all channels are set to "Tape", in the monitor select section engage "Stereo" ONLY (i.e. disengage the others) to hear the mix back off tape.

If you are certain you know how to work monitoring versus mixing on the MT4x, you could try cleaning the heads. There may be some dirt on that track.