battery change - why losing data? - connect a temporary battery in parallel

The place for parts & services: Modifications, Spare Parts and Repair Services, Sample Packs, Accessories.
Forum rules
This forum follows the same rules outlined in Gear For Sale Rules and Guidelines

Moderators have the right to edit your posts to keep them within the framework of these rules.
syevad

battery change - why losing data? - connect a temporary battery in parallel

Post by syevad » Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:25 am

I read some sorry threads of some posters losing presets and programs because of battery change from old synths (and some losing time and paniking because the Sysex dump didn't work).

I'm about to change the battery of my Six Trak and wondering if anyone have tried to connect a temporary battery in parallel while removing the existing one...that way. the memory content isn't lost.

So, why relying on Sysex or Midi? (we know these aren't that reliable).
I'm not an expert but basic common sense and logic tells me there is no danger and no need of losing the data of your synth if a second battery of same specs is linked with wires to the + and - of the old battery...the voltage remain the same and the current in mAh isn't going to cause any damage because there is no load. Then desolder the old battery and install a neat battery holder and insert a new battery on it (then you remove the temporary battery).

Any feedback from the experts out there?

Hyde
Gear: ASR10
EPS16
EPS
Mirage
S2000
ESI2000
SY35
SQ1+
K1000
Band: When Violets Turn Grey

Re: battery change - why losing data? - connect a temporary battery in parallel

Post by Hyde » Wed Sep 09, 2020 4:02 pm

I have had the same theory. I haven't had to replace any of my new batteries since installing holders. Would love to hear if it works.

syevad

Post by syevad » Wed Sep 09, 2020 10:12 pm

This morning I've received the new battery and didn't think twice about desoldering the old and intalling instead a battery holder and new battery - I thought for a moment of experimenting with a parallel connection but I was too keen of seeing the new battery working (the battery holder already is an experiment for me...how many experiment in one go?) then I was quite confident the Sysex would work as I did a lot of dumps - to and from - of patches collected from the web - the MIDi of my SixTrak is rock solid.

So, yeah the prophet wasn't brave enough this time - while I'm 99% confident the parallel connection would work - I'd rather experiment with some cheap stuff first...or maybe next time - when the battery need to be replaced...hopefully in quite a few years.

Still - there are now rechargeable CR123A batteries...thinking of a method of charging them in situ? (no need to remove it).

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Wurlitzer Opus 1536, Model F, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.

Post by madtheory » Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:54 pm

syevad wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:25 am
So, why relying on Sysex or Midi? (we know these aren't that reliable).
Who is we? What's your evidence for this claim?
syevad wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 11:25 am
Any feedback from the experts out there?
Yes. SysEx is part of the MIDI system, a system established in 1982 and still in use today. the longevity alone is good evidence that it is reliable. Patch editors work via SysEx. Patches are sold in the form of SysEx. IME, patches I backed up via SysEx from hardware synths in 1993 were still useable in both the plugin versions and the real thing in 2020 (Arturia VCZ and Alesis SR-16 FYI). That is damn reliable right there, and given that it's so long ago I think that classifies me as an expert :D

Best practice with any synth is to back up your patches via SysEx. The most common problem is the cheaper MIDI interfaces that do not have enough buffer memory to handle the data reliably. Next, it is synths with inscrutable SysEx and Memory Protection procedures. Both problems are solveable- buy a MIDI interface from a known brand, and RTFM :)

Placing a battery in parallel is a crapshoot especially if you don't know the specs of the memory chip. Makes no sense to mess around experimenting inside a treasured synth, risking damage, when all you have to do is stick to well established reliable procedures namely- back up your stuff!