Yamaha Motif 8 - Piano Quality

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
Dipol

Yamaha Motif 8 - Piano Quality

Post by Dipol » Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:41 pm

Hi!

I'm thinking about buying a used Yamaha Motif 8 (2001 model) for my studio. I have a Nord Stage 2, but its rarely at my studio because its at my bands rehearsal space. Does any of you know how to Motifs piano (/rhodes etc) samples hold up in 2017?

-Kristian

meatballfulton
Gear: Live 9, Logic Pro X

Re: Yamaha Motif 8 - Piano Quality

Post by meatballfulton » Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:52 am

Yamaha has been upgrading the acoustic pianos with each new version of the Motif series, so the ES, XS and XF each have more new samples. At one point Yamaha offered a PLG board for the original Motif with new acoustic piano samples to respond to pianists wanting something better. Those samples made it into the ES and then later models.

However, Yamaha actually made available the samples used in the original Motif's "Power Grand" patch for users of other models to load because that patch was so popular that some owners ended up keeping ther Motif just for that one sound!

The electric piano samples have been unchanged...in fact the electric pianos in the new Montage include some of the same patches that are found in all versions of the Motif.

Hope this helps.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

martinkroeger

Post by martinkroeger » Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:31 pm

Hi Kristian

I'm very happy with the pianos on my Motif 8 Classic. I got it in 2002 and the pianos and EP's are still the most satisfying group of sounds on it. I also like the keyboard action but lugging around all that weight for gigs now has me considering putting the Classic up for sale and getting a MOXF8 instead.

-Martin

krzeppa
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Band: Where the Embers Fall

Post by krzeppa » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:27 pm

I just sold my M08 about 6 months ago. I had it for about 8 years, and I really enjoyed the piano patches. I think the grand piano on it sounds pretty good. The person I sold it to was looking to use the board mostly for piano sounds and said they were very happy with purchase. Also, they have the hammer keys so it feels as close to a real piano as I have played in a keyboard/synth. One thing to keep in mind though is that they weigh an absolute ton. Mine stayed in the studio because it was just too big and heavy for me to haul anywhere.