Please help me find out what synths were used in these songs

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Music Bird
Gear: Casio/Yamaha and an iPad.

Please help me find out what synths were used in these songs

Post by Music Bird » Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:45 pm

I am trying to figure out what synths were used in
Modern English: I Melt With You (that whole album really it's from 1982-1983)
Heaven 17: Temptation (the bass in the chorus it's really growly and the brass pad in the verses)
Doug E Fresh and Slick Rick: The Show (that synth lead/brass with modulation) produced by Dennis Bell and Ollie Cotton
Stetsasonic: Talkin All That Jazz (synth trumpets)
Cameo: Word Up (everything including the drum machine)
Rufus/Chaka Khan: Ain't Nobody (everything but the bass, I know the bass is a Source by Moog)
Ashford and Simpson: Solid
Nu Shooz: Point of No Return (everything)
Frankie Knuckles: Your Love (whole song)
D-Mob: We Call It Acieed (there is no TB303, so what was used????????? And also no sampler after looking at whosampled)
The Human League: Sound Of The Crowd (that fat lead synth that kicks off the song pluck that doubles it later the bass and the drum machine), Louise (the bass, solo, and plucked chord sound), Open Your Heart (the bass and pad, I know the solo recorderish sound is the flute preset from the Casio M10 they used after seeing it in YouTube videos)
A-ha: Take On Me (other than the bass and lead).
I Melt With You
Temptation
The Show
Talkin All That Jazz
Cameo Word Up
Ain't Nobody
Solid
Point of No Return
Your Love
We Call It Acieed
Sound Of The Crowd
Open Your Heart
Louise
Korg, Casio, Alesis, and Yamaha (Minilogue, WK-7600, SK-1, CT-X3000, SR-16, MX49)
FL Studio 12, VSTs, MIDI keyboard
Non synths include string, woodwind, percussion, and toys for SFX.

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Re: Please help me find out what synths were used in these s

Post by meatballfulton » Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:08 pm

Is there a prize if we can guess them all? :lol:
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

cornutt
Gear: 6th

Post by cornutt » Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:23 pm

I want to say that guy from Modern English had an Octave Cat, but I wouldn't swear to it. I used to play that song. That synth patch is just a wide-open square wave. It's the easiest patch in the world. I played it on a Juno-106 and it sounded just like the record.
Switches, knobs, buttons, LEDs, LCD screens, monitors, keys, mice, jacks, sockets. Now two joysticks!

desmond

Post by desmond » Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:29 pm

What's up with all these huge lists of songs you want to indentify?
Why do you need to know the synths used on multiple songs almost daily?
Is there a reason, like you have to recreate these things for a gig and want a headstart on choosing what instrument to use, or something?

I mean we're all interested in the odd thing we hear and we'd like to identify for sure, but it comes across to me like you have some kind of obsession or something - you don't need to be so fixated on what people used in order to do your own creative thing... :shrugs:

Music Bird

Post by Music Bird » Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:19 pm

I'm just extremely curious about synths being new to hardware synths (I usually produce on ipad). Also extreme curiosity. Also trying to use the same sounds for my music. Especially because I was thinking about getting an actual synth to try to play these songs for my YouTube channel.
Korg, Casio, Alesis, and Yamaha (Minilogue, WK-7600, SK-1, CT-X3000, SR-16, MX49)

desmond

Post by desmond » Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:52 pm

Music Bird wrote:I'm just extremely curious about synths being new to hardware synths (I usually produce on ipad). Also extreme curiosity. Also trying to use the same sounds for my music. Especially because I was thinking about getting an actual synth to try to play these songs for my YouTube channel.
Really, the best thing to do is get one, start to understand how it works, how it sounds, and why it sounds the way it does, and develop your ear. Over time you build up a knowledge base that's lets you understand what you are hearing, and you can do 80% of this stuff yourself by ear, which is the best way to go.

You'll start to be able to spot the different character of a Roland analog vs a Moog, or Oberheim, or Yamaha etc.

And if you want to do research into those old synths, well there is plenty of info online (not least the site in my sig ;)

Have fun with the learning process - how I started is covered an article in my blog there, btw. With all the resources a your disposal today, you're in a *way* better position to learn about his stuff than I ever was, that's for sure!

Music Bird

Post by Music Bird » Sat Apr 01, 2017 1:13 am

Yeah I agree, it makes sense to buy a hardware synth. Especially because I have been listening to a lot of good music (Modern English has other good songs like Tables turning which has a great synth square pad and Someones calling which has a synth that reminds me of Joy Division Love Will Tear Us Apart/syn strings tone the video has the keyboardist (Stephen Walker) playing a Polysix).

jxalex
Gear: enough

Post by jxalex » Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:55 pm

Music Bird wrote:I'm just extremely curious about synths being new to hardware synths (I usually produce on ipad). Also extreme curiosity. Also trying to use the same sounds for my music. Especially because I was thinking about getting an actual synth to try to play these songs for my YouTube channel.
yep, get a hardware synth... and do not get nuts for seeking VST counterpart for every hardware synth -- they do not sound all the same as they should. Analog synths are still quite difficult to emulate with VSTs and it takes more effort with programming (-- Roland Juno-106 is one example ;) ). But when it comes to DX7 presets then you really get these sounds out.

A-ha --- take on me ----- DX7, and later they used also Juno-106

by the way, most of those titles you have can be guessed just by the year of the release it was by then and which synths were available by then.