Which Synth Artists do you want us to interview?

Come here for topics reviewing and sharing songs, tracks, music, synth demos, etc.

Which Synth Artists do you want us to interview?

Postby Board Admin » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:30 pm

As many of you have heard, we will be able to update our old content and start to add new articles to VSE very soon. We are planning to do regular interviews with well known synth artists/bands and would love your input on who you want us to approach.

Suzanne Ciani has already agreed to an interview, so if you have any specific questions you want us to ask her - add them here!
Board Admin
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Which Synth Artists do you want us to interview?

Postby CS_TBL » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:25 pm

While being an interesting idea, and while seemingly logical to nominate the usual pack o' Vangelis, Jarre, Oldfield, Parsons, Kitaro, Moroder and Zimmer, I also see a few issues.

Are they really that interesting to us regarding synths? These artists had industry leading synths that most ordinary people could only dream of, back in the vintage years. But did they actually program them, or were they merely preset users? Did they do anything with these synths that *we* haven't figured out yet? Should I ask Vangelis how to make a Blade Runner horn, knowing that I've done countless of 'em myself already? Should we ask Jarre how those Oxygene strings were done, while we already know about the Eminent organ and the phaser unit? I think it'd be more interesting to ask for composing and producing methods, but that may be beyond the scope of VSE.
"You know I love you, CS, but this is bullshit." (Automatic Gainsay)
s: VSL/FM8/EWQL/LASS h: DX7/FS1r/VL70/SY77/SN2r/JD800/JD990/XV88/Emu6400/Poly61/Amek35:12:2/genelec1030 r: Violin/AltoSax/TinWhistle c: i7-4770/RAM32GB/SSD
FM8 vids
CS_TBL
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: All "In-The-Box"
Mainly FM8

Postby vcs3 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:17 am

Vangelis of course!
vcs3
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: BitOne,DX7II, M-1000, ESQm, Procussion, NanoSynth, VL1, P2500, K5000R, FS1r, JX-3P, Ju-60,HR-16, CZ1000, RX-5,K2600S, Nord G1r, G2, XL-7, Shuthri-1

Postby Psy_Free » Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:38 am

Klaus Schulze of course.
"Any noise is good. For what is a different matter"
Bandcamp 1
Bandcamp 2
Soundcloud
Psy_Free
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Synths 'n' stuff.
Band: Klangzeit

Postby gcoudert » Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:22 am

Jean-Michel Jarre, Hans Zimmer, Harold Faltermeyer, Georgio Moroder, Vangelis, Benny Anderson, Magne Furuholmen, Anne Dudley, JJ Jeczalik, Trevor Horn, Andy Richards, Wally Badarou, Nick Rhodes, Richard Tandy, Paul 'Wix' Wickens, Mike Lindup, Uwe Fahrenkrog-Petersen (Nena), Ulf Wahlberg (Secret Service), Mike Oldfield, Chris Lowe, Steve Porcaro, Brian Eno, Billy Currie, Peter Vettese... assuming they're all still alive!

And let's not forget Yanni! [GC grabs his coat and leaves the room quietly...]
GC
gcoudert
Expert Member
Expert Member

Gear: Roland Fantom X7 with Ultimate Keys expansion, Yamaha TX802, Roland JP-8080, Tascam DP-24SD.

Postby Tekhed66 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:26 am

Board Admin wrote:As many of you have heard, we will be able to update our old content and start to add new articles to VSE very soon.

I completely missed that.... sounds FAB ... does that mean the site can update and add more equipment reviews too?

My suggestions for interviewees:

Vince Clarke / Depeche Mode
Rick Wakeman
Kraftwerk
Underworld
Air
Richard Tandy
Jon Hopkins
Nick Rhodes

Good luck with the new site.... can't wait to see how all this develops :D :D :D
Tekhed66

Gear: Roland JD-990
Roland JD-800
Roland XV-5080
Kurzweil K2000
Yamaha An1x
Korg Triton Rack
Korg M1
Korg Radias
Korg Volca Beats
Akai s5000
Band: The Creepy Uncles

Postby ppg_wavecomputer » Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:42 am

Me, of course.

Stephen
"Like the light from distant stars, Stephen Parsick's music has existed for some time, but is only now reaching us on Earth." Chuck van Zyl

https://doombientmusic.bandcamp.com/

https://ramp1.bandcamp.com/

https://stephenparsick.bandcamp.com/
ppg_wavecomputer

Gear: more keys than hands (and feet)
Band: ['ramp]

Postby jxalex » Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:17 pm

Mike Oldfield
Chris Lowe / Neil Tennant
Jean Michel Jarre
Vangelis
jxalex

Gear: enough

Postby Music Bird » Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:26 pm

Jean Michel Jarre
Praga Khan
Vangelis
Doris Norton
Jordan Rudess
Rick Wakeman
Chris Lowe and Neil Tennant
Greg Phillanganes
Harold Faltermeyer
Geddy Lee
Tony Banks
Geoff Downes
Billy Currie
John Foxx
Fred Zarr
Richard James Burgess
Yellow Magic Orchestra
Yello
Todd Rundgren/Mike Powell
David Frank
David Bryan from Bon Jovi
Nick Plytas
Arthur Baker
Vince Clarke
Gary Numan
The questions I would ask would be: Did you use only presets or did you program sounds? How can I program such and such patch on such and such synth on my iPad.

Edit: gotta add Larry Fast, Wally Badarou and Steve Porcaro/David Paich.
Keyboards/synths owned
Casio SK1/WK-7600
Yamaha PSR 19/PSR e443/MX49 Blue
iPad with Music Studio, Garage Band, FL Studio Mobile, and several VSTs, including iMini, iProphet, and iSEM.
Music Bird

Gear: Casio/Yamaha and an iPad.

Postby meatballfulton » Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:54 pm

Question for Suzanne:

After starting with analog you made the transition into digital but have returned to analog again. What is your view on the strengths of digital that attracted you at the time and why have you chosen to leave it behind?
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.
meatballfulton

Gear: Live 9, Logic Pro X

Postby jxalex » Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:28 pm

Our beloved FAIRLIGHT!!
The question to ALL of them: Do You use the Fairlight in the creation process? When was it last time, or do You still use it and arrange with that machine everything or it is just partly in their process?

Especially that question goes to Chris Lowe. THere was one interview article that he bought Fairlight again on 1999. Do You still use the Fairlight?

To Mike Oldfield:
(somewhat out of musical context).
You have several motorcycles: which is Your favourite of them? Do you like to repair and maintain these Yourself too?
jxalex

Gear: enough

Postby Music Bird » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:28 pm

To Chris Lowe: Do you still use the Synclavier, Fairlight and Emulator?
To Suzanne Ciani: What did you think about the Buchla synths that you use when they first came out and what caused you to choose them?
To Wally Badarou: How was it like working with Level 42 and Talking Heads?
To all of them: What is your favorite album you have worked on? What is your favorite synth you have used?
About polysynths: Did polysynths change the way you thought about synth playing style?
About analog to digital: What did you think about how synth technology has changed from analog to digital from the 70's to the 90's?
About the DX7: (to artists that didn't use it) Why did you not choose the DX7 in the 80's? (To all others) What was the biggest challenge you had using an FM synth?
To all of them as well the following,
Did you ever buy a synth you thought was going to be bad, but it turned out you liked it?
The Prophet 5 was released 40 years ago in 1978, do you remember what patches you liked on it?
Did you ever skip buying a synth that you wanted (as in wanting to get one, but being distracted by another and buying that instead)?
To Vince Clarke: Do you still use the Casio CZ-101?
To Depeche Mode: What's your favorite song you have made together?
Last edited by Music Bird on Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Keyboards/synths owned
Casio SK1/WK-7600
Yamaha PSR 19/PSR e443/MX49 Blue
iPad with Music Studio, Garage Band, FL Studio Mobile, and several VSTs, including iMini, iProphet, and iSEM.
Music Bird

Gear: Casio/Yamaha and an iPad.

Postby paultm » Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:09 pm

I wanted to interview Jean Michel Jarre and Tangerine Dream. But, especially, Mike Oldfield. I was always admired and inspired by his music, and it would be nice talk to him over a cup of coffee.
I'm a novice journalist, and also I'm studying as a sound engineer. In my spare time I write an essays for https://buyessay.org/cheap-essay.html. Here I can improve my writing skills and help students with their assignments.
paultm

Return to The Listening Lounge