Synth storage: too hot in attic?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.

Synth storage: too hot in attic?

Postby TheDarkHorse » Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:01 am

Hi all,

I'm leaving the country for two years, and am considering leaving my two synths stored in an attic for that period.

The two synths are:

• DSI Mopho
  • Moog Rogue

The attic gets really hot during the summer: I estimate around 104 F (40 C), with plenty of humidity here in the Northeast.

They would both be stored in molded plastic containers, like Pelican cases, with foam padding.

The question: is that too hot? Would it likely damage the internal circuitry, or even some of the plastic parts?

Thanks for your time.
TheDarkHorse

Re: Synth storage: too hot in attic?

Postby Yekuku » Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:20 pm

Hi and welcome aboard :)
Normally, 40 celsius should not affect plastics or electronics.
BUT,
if the rogue has its original foam pads still in place, the foam is located between the circuit board and the front panel , they should be removed immediately , because this high temperature is going to turn them into tar.
If the mopho has rubberized knobs, too much heat can make them sticky, so removing them and storing them in a cooler place should be safer.
These advises come from someone that lives in a hot country and hates 21st century plastics.
It is all about sharing...
Yekuku

Gear: dk'tronics speech synthesizer :P

Postby TheDarkHorse » Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:35 am

Thanks for the answers and the welcome, Yekuku.

If I do leave them in the attic, I will surely follow your advice and remove those components. Alternatively, I might leave the synths in a much cooler basement, where I anticipate it'd be at least 12 degrees cooler in the summer.
TheDarkHorse

Postby Yekuku » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:26 am

Hi Darkhorse,
whether you store them in a cool or hot place, the rogue's melting foam pads is a ticking timebomb that can render the front panel unusable. If you are planning to store it for a long time, it is advisable to be removed.
If it already started deteriorating , removing it could be a hard job but there is info on the internet about it, because lots of Moogs of that time have the same problem. (opus III, liberation, mg-1 etc)
It is all about sharing...
Yekuku

Gear: dk'tronics speech synthesizer :P

Postby minime123 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:01 pm

i would avoid storing anything in that temperature longterm and would definitely avoid longterm high humidity as high humidity can do serious damage to electronics.
all rogues and other moog synths that had this foam layer should have the foam layer removed, regardless of storage conditions, as it turns to a tar-like substance over time.
removal is a messy and annoying / time-consuming process. every little foam crumb should be carefully removed and kept away from anything you dont want damaged (such as the clothing you're wearing, carpeting, floors, etc). it also gets into faders and switches. its often better to remove the tar and replace all faders and switches as well.
good luck.
mini
VINTAGE SYNTH DEALER
- We Buy Sell Trade Repair Vintage Synths
- We Buy Broken Gear & Parts Too...
- Huge Selection, Dependable Service
- https://tonetweakers.com
minime123
Expert Member
Expert Member

Return to General Synthesizers