Nord Stage 3 - and then... what to buy in future?

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.

Nord Stage 3 - and then... what to buy in future?

Postby mitya33 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:00 am

Following some excellent advice on this forum and elsewhere I think I'm going to go for the Nord Stage 3 (vs. the Kronos - yes they're chalk and cheese but the Nord is just so much more fun to play.)

But the Nord is giving up a lot of synth power vs. the Kronos. So I was wondering, if I do go for the Nord, what would be a sensible synth unit to aim for later down the line, to compliment it?

I ask because I'm still relatively unfamiliar with the different types of synth (analogue, digital, FM, virtual analogue, etc etc) and, more importantly, how they differ in the sorts of sounds that can be created.

So whatever I buy later should compliment but provide a different soundscape (more or less) from the synth on the Nord Stage 3. In other words, I don't want the synth on that to be made redundant by my future purchase.

I love the look of the Nord Lead 4. Does anyone have any suggestions what a next purchase synth-wise might look like?

Also, while I'm here - and I realise this is like electronic music queston 1a - how do you control several units? If I had the Nord Stage 3, a synth unit, and a drum machine, how do you pull all those together in a performance without a computer (if that's even possible?) Can I control all from the Stage, for example?

I greatly appreciate all help :-)
mitya33

Re: Nord Stage 3 - and then... what to buy in future?

Postby Ashe37 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:56 am

MIDI, tho controlling multiple units from one keyboard with no computer can get... interesting.
Ashe37

Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Postby madtheory » Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:59 pm

You'll need to check out how the Nord deals with controlling external instruments. Can it be zoned? This means you could assign different instruments to different parts of the keyboard. But this depends on what sequencer you're using, because the sequencer can take care of that stuff too.

If I was you, I'd go for an Arturia Beatstep Pro instead of a drum machine. It's an intuitive machine for a musician. The Arturia is a drum machine and will also sequence melodic parts. Think of it like a looping pedal that allows you to layer parts up, but you're using MIDI not audio so you have much more control and flexibility.
madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Pro Tools, Komplete, MIDIQuest, Novation KSR, Casio FZ1+SK5, Korg Legacy, Theremin, Digi Vocalist, Quadravrb+, Kaoss Pads1+2, SPD11, OB Cyclone.
Band: Minim

Postby mitya33 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:12 pm

Thanks for the replies, guys.

Madtheory - I've just been reading up on the BSP you recommend. Proper noob question... does it have its own voices (and if so, what sort of range and variety?), or do they come from external sources? In this video the guy's using it but had a universe of synths wired into it providing the actual sounds.

https://youtu.be/Km3lKL-QQqs
mitya33

Return to Buyer's Guide