Digital Rackmount Synth with Analog Sound/Modelling?

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
Tbonesteak4

Digital Rackmount Synth with Analog Sound/Modelling?

Post by Tbonesteak4 » Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:31 pm

Hello everyone,
Can someone recommend a rackmount digital synthesizer that has some good capabilities as an analog synth stand-in?

I'm looking to drive it from my composing workstation, so ideally I'd like to have the capability for running multiple lead lines or a few pads. Currently I'm writing these parts with U-he Diva or NI Massive, but even on a really powerful rig (Intel-i9 based) things can get hairy with a lot of simultaneous tracks. So far I've picked up a Yamaha TX81z, a dual SID Commodore 64, and Teensyboy Pro (running an original Gameboy), so I'm somewhat covered across the gritty video game spectrum. I'm loving what I'm getting out of this hardware and I'm hoping to fill out the anolog(ish) side.

To give some context, I've been working on writing music with the intention of composing for indie games for several years now, and I'm getting ready to launch a marketing platform. I currently have a robust collection of software synths in addition to the hardware mentioned above, but I would love to get some more interesting sounding hardware to round everything out.

meatballfulton
Gear: Live 9, Logic Pro X

Re: Digital Rackmount Synth with Analog Sound/Modelling?

Post by meatballfulton » Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:53 pm

A few:

Korg MS2000, Radias

Access Virus (A, B, C, TI) desktop with rack kit

Nord Lead Rack (2, 2x, A1, 4)

Red Sound Elevata (rare, but cheap if you can find one)

Roland MKS50, MKS70 (real analog)

Oberheim Matrix 6R, Matrix 1000 (real analog)
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

Tbonesteak4

Post by Tbonesteak4 » Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:44 pm

meatballfulton wrote:A few:

Korg MS2000, Radias

Access Virus (A, B, C, TI) desktop with rack kit

Nord Lead Rack (2, 2x, A1, 4)

Red Sound Elevata (rare, but cheap if you can find one)

Roland MKS50, MKS70 (real analog)

Oberheim Matrix 6R, Matrix 1000 (real analog)
Thank you so much for the quick response! That is a fantastic jumping off point for me and I'm excited to do some research. Any personal favorites out of that list?

NCChao1268
Gear: Kurzweil K2000 fully upgraded
Roland Juno 106
Roland JX-8P
Korg DW 8000
Polysix
Alesis SR-16
Yamaha DX7

Post by NCChao1268 » Tue Jan 01, 2019 1:01 am

Not sure if this would help but the 1990's Kurzweil K-Series (K2000, K2500, K2600) rackmount models had a great selection of digital sounds and great reproductions of classic analog synth sounds, though is a little harder to understand the programming (They use VAST). I own the K2000 and think it is a great synth.

meatballfulton
Gear: Live 9, Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:23 pm

Tbonesteak4 wrote:Any personal favorites out of that list?
Korg Radias, Virus TI
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

Tbonesteak4

Post by Tbonesteak4 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:52 am

NCChao1268 wrote:Not sure if this would help but the 1990's Kurzweil K-Series (K2000, K2500, K2600) rackmount models had a great selection of digital sounds and great reproductions of classic analog synth sounds, though is a little harder to understand the programming (They use VAST). I own the K2000 and think it is a great synth.
I really enjoyed going through some demos of these synths! They sound awesome and I've had a fantastic time learning about the VAST system and what's possible with it. This will definitely go on a demo list for the future and I'll be keeping an eye out for one.
meatballfulton wrote:
Tbonesteak4 wrote:Any personal favorites out of that list?
Korg Radias, Virus TI
The Virus TI has ended up being my favorite out of this list. Besides sounding amazing, the total integration VST plugin, the patch editor, the large amount of analog outs pretty much seamlessly fits in to the way I already run my soft synths in my DAW. The price, all things considered, is really not bad at all either. I think this is the option I will be pursuing first.

gridsleep
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Das Vorlagengehirn
Band: Big Steam Horse

Post by gridsleep » Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:31 am

Novation KS Rack would be your best bet. 5U of controls for the Liquid Analog sound, 16 voices, four parts, and external audio processing. Usually well under a grand. Novation Supernova or Supernova II are also very good, starting at 20 or 24 voices and expandable to 44 or 48, and eight parts, with external processing in II. More expensive than the others. Sector101 sells new manufactured voice expansion cards for these and many other synthesizers. There are three Supernova on eBay right now for $500 to $750. Novation Nova is like the KS but with six parts and Supersaw wave, also rack mountable but if the rack ears are not included they are nearly impossible to find. Then again, rack ears are usually just sheet metal. You could cobble your own if you are handy with tools. If space is at a premium, the A-Station provides 8 voices of Supernova power in 1U. If you want analog emulation in a rack, Novation is the way to go.
"We called ourselves The Farts and couldn't get a venue. Now that we're Colonic Vapor we have a label and everyone wants to book us."

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Post by Z » Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:42 pm

Novation SuperNova

Roland JP-8080

Waldorf MicroWave (uses digital wavetable ocillators, but has standard "analog" waveforms along with more complex waveforms)
youtube.com/zibbybone facebook.com/ZsFlippinGear