Alesis QS6.1 battery replacement

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.

Alesis QS6.1 battery replacement

Postby Fnlorrain » Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:46 pm

I have an Alesis QS6.1 that needs it's internal battery replaced. I've ordered the correct battery with 3 legs to solder to the board, I found the original sysex files, and installed sysex librarian on my mac but it only sees my Audiobox USB when I run it, even though the Alesis is connected to the MIDI in and out of the Audiobox. Would a USB to Din 8 cable be recommended? I want to back up all of the user presets before removing the old battery. My question is this, is there a step by step walkthrough for this job available? I'm comfortable desoldering and soldering the battery itself, but after that I don't know the right way to restore the presets etc. If anybody has done this job I'd appreciate some guidance. I really like this old synth and would like the use of the user banks,which now show garbage characters and don't make sound, but don't want to make any mistakes that will "break" it. I actually found a service manual for it, but inexplicably it doesn't cover the battery replacement. If any of you have carried out this job I'd appreciate any guidance you can provide, including links to resources etc. Thanks a bunch in advance!
Last edited by Fnlorrain on Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fnlorrain

Re: Alesis QS6.1 battery replacement

Postby Mooger5 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:01 pm

With so much information available on-line, replacing a dead battery and restoring to factory defaults is like changing a flat tyre.

The Service Manual gives good instructions on how to disassemble and reassemble the synth.

And here https://www.cyborgstudio.com/wimpy/synt ... manual.pdf on page 164, is how to re-initialize it.

Good luck.
Herrare umanum est.
Mooger5
Expert Member
Expert Member

Re: Alesis QS6.1 battery replacement

Postby Fnlorrain » Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:26 pm

Mooger5 wrote:With so much information available on-line, replacing a dead battery and restoring to factory defaults is like changing a flat tyre.

The Service Manual gives good instructions on how to disassemble and reassemble the synth.

And here https://www.cyborgstudio.com/wimpy/synt ... manual.pdf on page 164, is how to re-initialize it.

Good luck.

Thanks, I have that manual, the part I'm not clear on is how to back up the sysex files on the QS to a folder on the Mac as a precaution, since I can't be sure the zipped folder said to work for it and the 6.2 is going to work right. Right now I can't communicate with the QS, only the audiobox shows up. I'll keep reading, I appreciate your reply.
****Update**** upon further reading of that manual I found the relevant section on part 5 page 56 which explained how to begin sending the sysex out to an external device. Now I need to find out how to put the QS in "listening" mode in order to reverse the process, and load the presets from the Mac to the QS. Getting closer! Thanks for the little nudge, I had been reading that manual and missed that section somehow.
Fnlorrain

Return to HELP!