Do You Remember This Synth?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
looperboy

Do You Remember This Synth?

Post by looperboy » Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:08 am

Hi

I'm desperately trying to remember the name of a little keyboard I used to have. It's main feature was that it had a programmable auto accompaniment, bass and drums anyway- and I think it claimed tone the first to have this. I'm pretty sure it was Roland or Yamaha. Maybe mid 1980s? And it had mini sized keys.

Any ideas?

desmond

Re: Do You Remember This Synth?

Post by desmond » Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:29 am

What colour? If it was black, maybe the Yamaha MK100..?

It had a multi menu feature where you could program custom drum patterns, custom bass lines and change sound parameters?

looperboy

Post by looperboy » Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:45 pm

That's it!!!

Thanks, Desmond. Brilliant!

Stuart

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Post by Z » Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:13 pm

Casio HT-700 has user programmable bass line, drums and chords (different inversions).
youtube.com/zibbybone facebook.com/ZsFlippinGear

desmond

Post by desmond » Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:43 pm

looperboy wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:45 pm
That's it!!!
Thanks, Desmond. Brilliant!
Score! :)

I did a Kontakt instrument/emulation based upon it (see my sig) - I loved that thing, it was my second keyboard...

And it sounds surprisingly good, and sounds fairly FM-ey, even though it's not FM at all.

And yes - being able to create your own drum patterns was pretty unique among home keyboards of that era - and was a big part of why I wanted one...

looperboy

Post by looperboy » Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:19 pm

desmond wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:43 pm
I did a Kontakt instrument/emulation based upon it (see my sig)
Oh, I was going to tell YOU there was a Kontakt emulation, in my first reply. :D

Didn't realize that it was you who made it.

I was going to email the creator from the webpage and ask if I was right in thinking the emulation doesn't have the auto-accompniaments, just the drum preset patterns.

So here we are!

Am I correct in that assumption?

looperboy

Post by looperboy » Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:21 pm

Z wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:13 pm
Casio HT-700 has user programmable bass line, drums and chords (different inversions).
That looks great too, Z. Thanks!

desmond

Post by desmond » Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:24 pm

looperboy wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:19 pm
Oh, I was going to tell YOU there was a Kontakt emulation, in my first reply. :D
Didn't realize that it was you who made it.
Heh! :)
looperboy wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:19 pm
I was going to email the creator from the webpage and ask if I was right in thinking the emulation doesn't have the auto-accompniaments, just the drum preset patterns. Am I correct in that assumption?
Yes. I really wanted to focus on the things that I like about the instrument, that sound decent, and that can be used in a more modern production environment.

While there is some nostalgia with the auto-accompaniment stuff, in reality it's not that great (ie, cheesy, but not even in a cool way), and the amount of effort involved in transcribing and modelling all the accompaniment stuff vastly outweighs it's usefulness - at least that was the decision I came to (despite kind of wanting to include it for completeness). Same with all the sequencer bits for the chords/melody/bass - in reality, it's far easier to use your DAW for that and the onboard features weren't that great.

The drum patterns and programmer though I wanted to recreate, but I've thrown in some quite cool modern things like the ability to jam patterns, go into and out of record, and even edit patterns from the keyboard all in realtime.

What is it you might want the auto-accompaniment stuff for, other than a nostalgia/memory jogger thing?

looperboy

Post by looperboy » Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:38 pm

desmond wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:24 pm
Yes. I really wanted to focus on the things that I like about the instrument, that sound decent, and that can be used in a more modern production environment.
I can understand that. I'm definitely going to buy it anyway. I love the way the drums sound now that you've made them tuneable.
desmond wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:24 pm
What is it you might want the auto-accompaniment stuff for, other than a nostalgia/memory jogger thing?
To me, it's an aesthetic I really like. I'm mainly interested in finding the things other people discard and overlook from the past, and trying to make something credible out of them. (I started out with the Casio MT68 in the mid 80s)

The way I initially came across the MK100 was strange. I was buying another tablehooter on Ebay a few years ago- a casio I think- and the guy also sent me the MK100 by mistake. Before I sent it on to its rightful owner, I quickly made a song out of the auto-accompaniments.

I planned to remake the song with real instruments, or chip tune sounds, but when I was listening to it the other day, I just loved the style of the auto-accompaniment. I think I'd reprogrammed the bass, but that little rhythmic stab on the piano was great.

That's why I was desperate to find out again what keyboard I'd actually used.

Does the emulation run in demo mode in Kontakt player? That's all I've got, not the full version- but I like the 15 minute limitation when it's all that's available.

desmond

Post by desmond » Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:04 am

looperboy wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:38 pm
I can understand that. I'm definitely going to buy it anyway. I love the way the drums sound now that you've made them tuneable.

8-)

It's good fun playing with those!
looperboy wrote:
To me, it's an aesthetic I really like. I'm mainly interested in finding the things other people discard and overlook from the past, and trying to make something credible out of them. (I started out with the Casio MT68 in the mid 80s)
That's cool. There's certainly some charm and attractive qualities in some of this stuff - for example, the old Chamberlin/Mellotron loops etc - I just didn't think there was enough quirky charm to put in the effort to model it - and neither has there been many requests for it (you're the first! ;) )
looperboy wrote:
The way I initially came across the MK100 was strange. I was buying another tablehooter on Ebay a few years ago- a casio I think- and the guy also sent me the MK100 by mistake. Before I sent it on to its rightful owner, I quickly made a song out of the auto-accompaniments.
Mine is original from 1985 ;)
It was my first polyphonic keyboard after the Casio VL-Tone.

It really was so much better sounding than anything else around that price point back then. The DX7 definitely had an influence on it, for sure, it was so much better sounding than the usual thin Casio-type things.

Mine still works pretty well, except it's a bit flaky in the timing department (ie when you put it in play mode, it sounds a bit drunk. I think one or two of the sliders, including tempo, are a bit erratic.)
looperboy wrote:
I planned to remake the song with real instruments, or chip tune sounds, but when I was listening to it the other day, I just loved the style of the auto-accompaniment. I think I'd reprogrammed the bass, but that little rhythmic stab on the piano was great.
That's why I was desperate to find out again what keyboard I'd actually used.
Did you save the MK100's memory as a tape backup?
looperboy wrote:
Does the emulation run in demo mode in Kontakt player? That's all I've got, not the full version- but I like the 15 minute limitation when it's all that's available.
Yes - all the non-NI-licensed third-party Kontakt instruments (basically the ones that don't retail at $150+) will behave as in demo mode in Kontakt Player - ie they will time out after 15 mins...

looperboy

Post by looperboy » Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:33 am

desmond wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:04 am
Did you save the MK100's memory as a tape backup?
I didn't unfortunately, but I think I can recreate it okay. I'll buy your emulation and get an old original off eBay too. You're right about the sound. There's something quite special about it. I think if I'd had the MK100 in 1985 rather than the MT68 my life might have turned out quite differently :D
desmond wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:04 am
Yes - all the non-NI-licensed third-party Kontakt instruments (basically the ones that don't retail at $150+) will behave as in demo mode in Kontakt Player - ie they will time out after 15 mins...
Excellent. That'll do fine. I'm looking forward to trying it out.

Stuart