YAMAHA TX7 display with backlight guide

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
xampla3

YAMAHA TX7 display with backlight guide

Post by xampla3 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:06 pm

Lately i got nostalgic of my younger years at school and the music vibes of the new thing called DX7..
Since then, i always wanted a Yamaha FM-synthesis hardware to fiddle with..
So, for the last 3 months i was up looking to find one (DX7 i or ii, or a TX7, or even a DX200), at ebay...

Finally, i got lucky and recently bought a TX7 at fairly good price !
I found out that the display was not lit :( (back then nor the DX mki had a backlit display...)

Well, i could not leave it alone , so i decided to replace the stock display with a module with a led backlight (black on green so that it is a pair with my SY85 green display).. All went well, and i powered the LED backlight from a +5Volt connector that says "test" at the adjacent PCB.
Now i can use the TX7 in my dark studio, too ! And it is a beautifull match with my SY85 !! ;)

For you, boys and girls, who want to do this , also, (those who still have the stock display, anyway), ii did a photoshoot of the process and made a guide .
I just wanted to share this with you, and i hope it'll be helpful for TX7 owners.

You can read the guide here : https://synthnitz.blogspot.com/2019/08/ ... guide.html

You can also download it as a .pdf , for your convenience.

vintagesynth forums continue helping me find so much information, so this guide is one token of my appreciation .

Here is the final result :

blueknob
Gear: ESi32/E6400U, Novation Supernova, Ensoniq (a shedful), vintage Macs, Hamm C3/122

Re: YAMAHA TX7 display with backlight guide

Post by blueknob » Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:11 pm

yeh it's just the best thing ever when we get those dingy little displays to shine brightly. 8-)

Years ago I bought a used ESi32, totally did me head in, took me time to realise the backlight was dead. Eventually got a blue LED thing (or whatever it was) now can see the it from the other side of the room.

I was there back in the day, the TX7 was £400.

xampla3

Re: YAMAHA TX7 display with backlight guide

Post by xampla3 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:40 pm

blueknob wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:11 pm
yeh it's just the best thing ever when we get those dingy little displays to shine brightly. 8-)

Years ago I bought a used ESi32, totally did me head in, took me time to realise the backlight was dead. Eventually got a blue LED thing (or whatever it was) now can see the it from the other side of the room.

I was there back in the day, the TX7 was £400.
Yep, i wouldn't agree more!! It's like those things get back to life and lite up the night, again ! ;)

Actually, i was really lucky and got mine recently at around 170 euros (with shipping). :)