Roland D-10 Battery

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
slash49

Roland D-10 Battery

Post by slash49 » Sun Jun 21, 2020 2:04 pm

I have a Roland D-10 that hasn't been used for a long time and was bought new in the late 80s?

Just turned it on and it works ok but every time I change patch, it informs me that the internal battery needs replacing. I am quite capable of doing this but I have the following questions.

Will disconnecting the battery remove the sounds even if I do it quickly. Was wondering if there is some capacitance in the circuit which would keep it going till I put the replacement in.

If I leave the power on, will that help (yes I know I shouldn't)

Can I use bandlab or other cheap software to backup all the date and reinstall it when the replacement has been done.

I don want to lose the use of it even though its over 20 years old

Thnks for reading

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Re: Roland D-10 Battery

Post by meatballfulton » Sun Jun 21, 2020 10:51 pm

Yes, you need to do a full dump of all the data before replacing the battery. Read the section in the manual about doing dumps over MIDI to your computer.

Programs for MIDI dumps:

Windows MIDI-OX

Mac SysEx Librarian
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

slash49

Post by slash49 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:43 pm

Thanks for the reply.
From you message, I assume that while the power is on, changing the battery quickly ( 30 secs) will still not keep the sounds.

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:55 pm

Better to be safe than sorry. Do a backup. The software I linked is free.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.