Korg T3 oscillator sounds (raw) missing

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Mikerodi

Korg T3 oscillator sounds (raw) missing

Post by Mikerodi » Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:27 pm

Hi there. I’ve had a Korg T2 for almost 30 years and besides the battery going flat and a couple of buttons replaced, I’ve never had any issues! My keyboard then went into long hibernation As I started using computers. However, a few months ago, I replaced the battery, loaded the sounds and realized that all the sounds in Program B didn’t sound correctly. I went into edit mode only to discover that there were 100 raw sounds, instead of 200, or so! I’ve tried resetting and also transfering the data via Sysex. All programs appear with correct names, but with half the number of raw sounds available.
I really hope someone can help me out.
Thanks in advance.
Michael

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Re: Korg T3 oscillator sounds (raw) missing

Post by meatballfulton » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:01 pm

The T3 manual says there are two program banks, A00-A99 and B00-B99. Each program has access to 190 oscillator waveforms in ROM plus more if PCM Data cards are inserted. Are you saying that in bank A you can select from 190 waveforms and in bank B you cannot? Do you have any cards inserted?
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Wurlitzer Opus 1536, Model F, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.

Post by madtheory » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:01 pm

Sounds like you are confusing Programs with Combis.

Mikerodi

Post by Mikerodi » Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:09 pm

meatballfulton wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:01 pm
The T3 manual says there are two program banks, A00-A99 and B00-B99. Each program has access to 190 oscillator waveforms in ROM plus more if PCM Data cards are inserted. Are you saying that in bank A you can select from 190 waveforms and in bank B you cannot? Do you have any cards inserted?
Hi, thanks for replying. I only have 100 of the 197 oscillator sounds. I’ve been able to reset the keyboard and sometimes it will load all of the oscillator sounds, then If I turn it off and on again, the sounds are still there, but if I turn it on after 5 minutes or so, they’re gone. All program names in both banks appear always, but not all oscillator sounds...

Mikerodi

Post by Mikerodi » Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:32 pm

I forgot to mention that this problem occurs in both banks, but all sounds in program A sound correct. When I go into edit mode and scroll through the sounds, I reach oscillator sound 99 (DWGS Sine) and can’t go any further.
I have no ram cards inserted.

Sorry for the multiple postings...

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Wurlitzer Opus 1536, Model F, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.

Post by madtheory » Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:14 am

First you said 200, now you're saying 197. This says there are 190 multisounds and 85 drum sounds, but it's still a bit vague:
http://www.muzines.co.uk/articles/korg-t1/187
I do remember that the DWGS sounds are last, no more PCMs after those. Is there an actual list of the waveforms and there names, somewhere online?

Mikerodi

Post by Mikerodi » Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:53 am

Hi Madtheory, I said 200 or so, but in fact it’s 190 rom sounds.
Any program that uses rom sounds above 99 displays a “no option” in edit mode because they are not there.

Mikerodi

Post by Mikerodi » Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:16 pm

I have managed to perform a self diagnostic test and it displays “TG/IF and PCM verify” plus two expected addresses which are incorrect. So the problem is in the chips I fear...

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by madtheory » Sun Jul 05, 2020 6:22 pm

OK, that's progress. Should be fairly straightforward to check all the address lines. Alternatively, if you are not averse to plugins, you could replace it with the M1 plugin. It includes all of the T series PCMs, plus all of the cards. I don't know if it will load T series SysEx. It does load M1 SysEx. Worth a try I think! It's a great plugin IMHO. Much easier to edit on than the original machines.

Mikerodi

Post by Mikerodi » Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:12 pm

I think I’ll just continue with my wavestation expander and you my T2 as master.
Thanks for tips...