Upgrading my synth, suggestions please.

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
jesserhodes

Upgrading my synth, suggestions please.

Post by jesserhodes » Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:57 am

I've been greatly enjoying my first synth, a microKorg. It has served me well enough for jamming with friends, but I am beginning to find it's mini keys and interface frustrating. A few friends are interested in buying it, and I hope to make around $340 US off of it, but it'll probably be less than that because my friends are poor. :lol:

Anyways, I was thinking I'd take that money and save a few hundred more and upgrade to something a little more sexy.

I'd like synth style action, more octaves than the microKorg, more polyphony etc. Basically all around better.

I'm not too picky about sounds, just needs to be able to pull off something that resembles an organ, and the usual sounds needed for 80s style tunes.

Been looking at Roland SH-201/Juno-D/JP8080, Nord Lead 2x, and the new Korg R3.

I'm a poor high school student so I need an affordable, versatile synth.

Analog Freak

Post by Analog Freak » Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:12 pm

I'm thinking that the Roland Juno 60 might be just the ticket. They don't have the dreaded 'dead voice syndrome' that the Juno 106 has, and just about every pop act in the 80's had one. The Nord Lead 2x probably wouldn't be bad either, but it sure doesn't look like something from the eighties.

EDIT: I forgot to mention the Roland Alpha Junos.
"All Your Synthesizers Are Belong To Us!" Literally.

Tofuik

Post by Tofuik » Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:26 am

There is always the MS2000, the microkorg's big brother.
the cheese stands alone

Analogue Crazy
Gear: Alesis Andromeda
Korg MS20 Mini
Korg Micro Preset
Korg DS-8
Yamaha Motif 7
Yamaha DX11

Post by Analogue Crazy » Sat Mar 03, 2007 3:47 pm

Try the Juno Synths. If you want a true 80's experience buy the Juno-60. I just bought one. :)

Here are its main features:
MEMORY - 56 Patches (actually there are 78 Patches).
NICE KEYBOARD - Full 61 note keyboard. It has no velocity but it feels great and is still expressive.
SLIDERS - There is a Slider or switch for every function unlike on your Microkorg.
EASY TO USE - Its all there in front of you. Just a few hidden functions (like Unison).
CLASSIC 80's SOUND - Much better sounding than any of the VA's. Full of Character. Used on many 80's records.
VERY RELIABLE - Perfect for the Performing musician. Stays in tune. Never lets you down. Great for Playing live.
AFFORDABLE - Classic Sound at affordable Price. Great value for money

Honestly this Synth sounds amazing. You will never go near a VA again if you buy one. :wink:
Last edited by Analogue Crazy on Sat Mar 03, 2007 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A6 Andromeda, MS20 Mini, M500SP, DS-8, Motif 7, DX11,

OriginalJambo
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Check my sig

Post by OriginalJambo » Sat Mar 03, 2007 3:50 pm

I'd have to recommend a Juno as well based on what your needs are. If you don't mind looking into digital then a Roland D-50 will get you sure fire 80s sounds too.

jesserhodes

Post by jesserhodes » Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:36 pm

I'd actually prefer a VA/digital synth as I like the reliability and I definitely am in no position to pay for repairs to old equipment. My eventual goal is to have a rig consisting of a laptop+88 key weighted controller, so I'd like a synth that will fit in nicely. I'm wary of buying old stuff and I'm also scared of eBay ( :oops: ).

The Juno-G looks pretty cool, built in USB and so forth...

Vxster

Post by Vxster » Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:02 pm

If at all possible, you would ideally like to try one out (of the newer of your suggestions). Any chance of that where you are?

Tofuik

Post by Tofuik » Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:31 pm

jesserhodes wrote:I'd actually prefer a VA/digital synth as I like the reliability and I definitely am in no position to pay for repairs to old equipment. My eventual goal is to have a rig consisting of a laptop+88 key weighted controller, so I'd like a synth that will fit in nicely. I'm wary of buying old stuff and I'm also scared of eBay ( :oops: ).

The Juno-G would go nicely with a Laptop, I've played on a few and loved them. Very nice workstation synth. They've gone for as cheap as $650, so they are also affordable.
the cheese stands alone

Pete

Post by Pete » Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:52 pm

A Roland MKS 50 sounds fairly Juno, it is an Alpha Juno in a Rack, can be had for about $150. Get a modern controller. Now you don't really have many parts to break, and you can replace the synth. A lot cheaper than a new expensive synth that runs on samples.

crystalmsc
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: uWaveXT,uQ,Pulse+;Ion;MiniBrt,Karma,Mntrb,Volcas,01R;Venom,NordModular,L2X;Evolver;JP8080,MKS70,JD990,D50,MC909,MC80ex,Microcon2;TG77,RS7k,AN200,AN1x
Band: Crystaline

Post by crystalmsc » Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:58 am

jesserhodes wrote:I'd actually prefer a VA/digital synth as I like the reliability and I definitely am in no position to pay for repairs to old equipment. My eventual goal is to have a rig consisting of a laptop+88 key weighted controller, so I'd like a synth that will fit in nicely. I'm wary of buying old stuff and I'm also scared of eBay ( :oops: ).

if you want a VA with USB, the Novation X-station looks like a nice fit with your laptop/88 key set up. It got nice interface, usb, aftertouch and audio interface. But if you can skip USB, the K-station is also worth to look at for more synth.
Kaossilatron - Voicillator
http://crystaline.bandcamp.com
Station: Ableton Live 10 Suite, Obscurium, Push 2, Ultranova, MS-20m, Wavedrums

viscerallove

Post by viscerallove » Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:30 pm

crystalmsc wrote:

if you want a VA with USB, the Novation X-station looks like a nice fit with your laptop/88 key set up. It got nice interface, usb, aftertouch and audio interface. But if you can skip USB, the K-station is also worth to look at for more synth.
same suggestion i would give, though you will probably want the KS 4 (the K Station's bigger brother) since it is a 4 octave keyboard.

EDIT: plus, the KS 4 is like having four K Stations in one
my music

Clavia Nord Lead
Korg Poly 800
Korg DSS-1
Oberheim Matrix-6
Novation KS 4
Roland V-Synth

mistercooper

Post by mistercooper » Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:50 pm

I'd look into the alesis ion, too.
m-audio Radium 61, Korg Kontrol49,
Nord Modular rack, ER-1
Soundlab
CS-50
Custom built modular w/ ~30 modules
TX-216, VSS-100, PSR-470
Ableton Live, Reason, Cubase, plugs

Bryce1888
No Longer Registered

Post by Bryce1888 » Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:04 pm

As a fello microKorg user, i am interested in the alesis ion. It has 512 presets and they are all user rewritable, so you have much versatility. Also how did you mount the strap holders on your micrkorg?

jesserhodes

Post by jesserhodes » Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:03 pm

Bryce1888 wrote:As a fello microKorg user, i am interested in the alesis ion. It has 512 presets and they are all user rewritable, so you have much versatility. Also how did you mount the strap holders on your micrkorg?
I just removed the screws that hold on the wood panels, matched them to some slightly longer ones, and put them in the preexisting holes with the strap locks. Easy!

And the Novation looks awesome, I'd never even looked at them!