Earliest Minimoog recordings

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Re: Earliest Minimoog recordings

Post by Micke » Sat Sep 13, 2008 2:21 pm

Thanks, Koa

I've a feeling it's the Big Moog on Triumvirat's Mediterranean Tales but can't say for sure.
Anyways, I'll add Frank Zappa's album Waka/Jawaka and The Grand Wazoo to the list, both
of which appear to have been recorded during the same time period back in April-May 1972.

We can forget Chicory Tip's "Son Of My Father" though, I just got it confirmed that it was recorded with
a large Moog modular (just like Moroder's version of the song).
"The (Yamaha) CS-80 is a step ahead in keyboard control, and a generation behind in digital control" -- Dan Wyman, Jan 1979

masstronaut

Post by masstronaut » Sat Sep 13, 2008 3:41 pm

Can I just say that the Ra album named at the top of the thread is 'Night Of The Purple Moon', not man. ;)

The Mother Mallard record is the business, I mentioned David Borden on the 'Great Synthesists Never Mentioned...' thread.

Micke
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by Micke » Sat Sep 13, 2008 6:41 pm

masstronaut wrote:Can I just say that the Ra album named at the top of the thread is 'Night Of The Purple Moon', not man. ;)
I've corrected it.
The Mother Mallard record is the business, I mentioned David Borden on the 'Great Synthesists Never Mentioned...' thread.
Sure, that's a great record

Most of the pieces on the album, except Ceres Motion I think, were recorded at the R.A. Moog Co. backroom studio from April 1970 through fall 1971 mainly using the studios big Moog:

Image Image
The Minimoog model A prototype (pictured on the right) was used mainly as a live performance instrument, not primarily in the studio. An exception is the piece "Music" where it provides the lead line.
The lead line on the piece "Easter" was re-recorded in 1972 using a standard model (Musonics) MiniMoog, supplanting the original one from 1970 which had been recorded on a modular Moog.

David used the prototype MiniMoog A in live performance from early 1970 through the mid '70s and performed Easter live with the MiniMoog Prototype on many occasions.

cheers,
Micke
"The (Yamaha) CS-80 is a step ahead in keyboard control, and a generation behind in digital control" -- Dan Wyman, Jan 1979

vlz

Post by vlz » Thu May 30, 2019 8:45 pm

Also Rick Wakeman recorded Six Wives between Feb - Oct 1972. Used two minimoogs.

Music Bird
Gear: Casio/Yamaha and an iPad.

Post by Music Bird » Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:25 pm

The Indonesian groups Rollie’s and Favourite’s Group used a Minimoog early in the 70’s, pretty sure the Rollie’s were the first band in Indonesia to buy a Moog synthesizer.
The album here uses Minimoog. It was recorded in late 1972.
https://www.discogs.com/The-Rollies-Sin ... e/10426412
This is from 1972 and also has Minimoog, which is the main lead.

So you can add Favourite’s Group - Vol.5 to the list.
Unfortunately A. Riyanto (the Moog player on the album) passed away in 1995 so it’s hard to find info on his gear other than a picture with a Minimoog, a Roland SH-1000, and a Farfisa organ in it.
Korg, Casio, Alesis, and Yamaha (Minilogue, WK-7600, SK-1, CT-X3000, SR-16, MX49)
FL Studio 12, VSTs, MIDI keyboard
Non synths include string, woodwind, percussion, and toys for SFX.