Juno-D, is it good?

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
CuBulo
Gear: toyota
Band: priima

Juno-D, is it good?

Post by CuBulo » Tue Sep 02, 2008 4:42 pm

I am looking for a synth under 600$ with a full size keyboard and powerful sounds. I think the juno-d is all of that. Is it good? Please tell me the pros and cons.
wiggle diggle do

meatballfulton
Gear: Live 9, Logic Pro X

Re: Juno-D, is it good?

Post by meatballfulton » Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:01 pm

This should be moved to Buyer's Guide.

As a first synthesizer, the Juno-D is a safe choice. Make sure you also look at the Korg X-50 which is about the same price and might be more to your liking.

As far as pros and cons, both keyboards are designed to cover all the bases from emulating acoustic instruments (piano, organ, drums, etc.) to purely synthetic sounds. Players who want just synth noises or just acoustic emulations might prefer something different.

Please do a search on "Juno" and "X50" for more information.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

Analogue Crazy
Gear: Alesis Andromeda
Korg MS20 Mini
Korg Micro Preset
Korg DS-8
Yamaha Motif 7
Yamaha DX11

Post by Analogue Crazy » Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:04 pm

The Juno-D is pretty good, definatly a good all-rounder. I use them occasionally at college when i can't move the Famtom X8.
A6 Andromeda, MS20 Mini, M500SP, DS-8, Motif 7, DX11,

CuBulo
Gear: toyota
Band: priima

Post by CuBulo » Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:07 pm

Ill look into the korg one also. But just letting you know that this isnt my first synth.
wiggle diggle do

ryryoftokyo
Gear: Metal, plastic, wood, and electricity.
Band: Tarot Sync

Post by ryryoftokyo » Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:24 pm

the Juno D sounds great. Very thick (for a digital) and has great filters (again, for a digital).

The one thing that took me by surprise, was that when I compared it to a Juno G at a Guitar Center, I found myself wondering how the G costs a few hundred more than the D.

As far as the X-50 by Korg....Oddly enough, I tried one of those out that day too. I was impressed with the quality of sounds. I never really expect much from anything that is "Triton-derived".

It has a neat shape too.
MU Modular (Moog, Dotcom, STG, Analog Systems, and Moon modules), MS20 (x2), Microbrute, Electribes (EA-1, EMX), microKorg, AN1x, Nord Lead 2x, Blofeld, Alpha Juno 2, DX7, JX8P, Poly 61 (x2), Split 8, TR-505, Monotron Delay, Ace Tone FR-3, Paia Fatman

Bitexion
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Alesis Andromeda A6
Roland D-50
Creamware Minimax
Yamaha DX7s
Analogue Systems modular
Ensoniq SQ-80
Waldorf Blofeld

Post by Bitexion » Sat Sep 06, 2008 9:12 pm

Have you played a Triton or just go by the "general c**p talk" you've read elsewhere? They're actually very good synths, which is why they became such a staple synth with band musicians. And, I guess, why everyone hear the presets everywhere. The DX7 curse.

ryryoftokyo
Gear: Metal, plastic, wood, and electricity.
Band: Tarot Sync

Post by ryryoftokyo » Sun Sep 07, 2008 6:41 am

Bitexion wrote:Have you played a Triton or just go by the "general c**p talk" you've read elsewhere? They're actually very good synths, which is why they became such a staple synth with band musicians. And, I guess, why everyone hear the presets everywhere. The DX7 curse.
not only have I played one, I've owned one. :)
MU Modular (Moog, Dotcom, STG, Analog Systems, and Moon modules), MS20 (x2), Microbrute, Electribes (EA-1, EMX), microKorg, AN1x, Nord Lead 2x, Blofeld, Alpha Juno 2, DX7, JX8P, Poly 61 (x2), Split 8, TR-505, Monotron Delay, Ace Tone FR-3, Paia Fatman

Johnny Lenin
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: JX8P | AX60 | Little Phatty Stage II | DW8000 | Vox Jag | Fantom X6 | Juno-G | P-Bass | AS-120 | Double Jet

Post by Johnny Lenin » Sun Sep 14, 2008 4:14 am

Another nod for the Juno-D. It's a surprisingly good bread-and-butter keyboard, with quite useable sounds and a better-designed interface than you might expect from the 2-line, 20-character display. With so little display real-estate, Roland had to move a lot of functionality to the front panel. It's quite easy to navigate around.

The Juno-G is a different kettle of fish. It's basically a scaled-down Fantom with a monochrome display. The acoustic patches are noticeably more realistic [The D's pianos and organs are quite good, mind you, but the G's are noticeably better when recording, though I doubt anyone would be able to tell the difference in a club gig]. It also features twice the polyphony, a 16-track sequecer, 4-track audio recording and sampling, USB, expandable memory and support for Roland's SRX cards. That's probably what justifies the $300 premium on price.

I've used both -- I had a Juno-D and have a Juno-G -- and unless you really need the sequencing and sampling, I think the D would serve your purposes very well. In fact, the only reason why I have the G [it overlaps about 90% with my Fantom, so I don't REALLY need it] is that I got a crazy ridiculous great deal on a barely-used one. One of those offers you can't refuse. The short keyboard -- the keys are not standard size -- are a bit weird, but the Juno-D doesn't have that problem.