Best Vocoder? Hardware or Modular?

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
anoteoftruth
Gear: Moog Little Phatty, Moog Voyager RME, Nord Lead Rack, Microkorg, Korg ER-1, Rocktron Banshee Talkbox, Ableton Live, Trigger Finger, GURU, SP-303
Band: Mr.Marr

Best Vocoder? Hardware or Modular?

Post by anoteoftruth » Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:58 am

Hey guys,

I'm looking for a decent Vocoder.. something that will give me the ability to get some really clear vocals out of..

I looked at hardware Vocoders like the VP-550, and though it seems cool, I'd kinda like something that uses my own input signal, so that I could get some more usability out of it.

I'm looking to get into modular soon so any suggestions for modular units too are welcome..

Whatever you guys can suggest I'd like to hear it... just 1 thing, no software vocoders please.

awol9000

Re: Best Vocoder? Hardware or Modular?

Post by awol9000 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:21 am

Electrix - Warp factory
Alesis - Metavox
Electro Harmonix - V256 Vocoder

I haven't used any of the above yet.

monolith
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by monolith » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:36 am

I just got an Electrix Warp factory, I quite like it.
You can supply the carrier source, and it's very intelligible.

Doepfer has released a vocoder module that apparently was developed with input from Florian Schneider. (Kraftwerk)

http://www.doepfer.de/a129e.htm

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Post by tekkentool » Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:31 am

monolith wrote:I just got an Electrix Warp factory, I quite like it.

Doepfer has released a vocoder module that apparently was developed with input from Florian Schneider. (Kraftwerk)

Looks complex, the sound demos are rubbish though. IT surely can't sound that bad.

monolith
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by monolith » Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:39 am

tekkentool wrote:

Looks complex, the sound demos are rubbish though. IT surely can't sound that bad.
Listening now...

...whoa.. they are bad.

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Post by tekkentool » Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:24 pm

monolith wrote:
tekkentool wrote:

Listening now...

...whoa.. they are bad.
Yeah, like Alesis ion bad :o

tallowwaters
Gear: LC-MS/MS

Post by tallowwaters » Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:09 pm

...Anyways

The Nord Modular/MicroModular vocoders sound great at a decent price, but you will have to use software to edit. Really though, you could sit down one day, make you up about 30 patches and assign morph parameters and have enough vocoding for life. Both units have a tiny footprint as well.

Alesis Metavox is s**t, skip it.

The Electrix Warp Factory is very popular around here, sounds great and is a very flexible unit. I assume by input signal you mean your own carrier wave? The Warp Factory can do this, I believe. pricklyrobot will be along shortly...

The EHX V256 can certainly do vocoding as well. It does sound great, plenty of bands to use and tracks incoming signal well, but I don't think I would want it for my sole vocoder. It does do plenty of other things as well, like formant shifting, stepped auto tune, etc.

Korg's R3 and MicroKorg have some of the more musical vocoders available on the modern VAs. Actually, I love the sound of the R3 vocoder. Plenty of parameters to play with there.
Brains can be used like a "stress ball," but only once.

Joey
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: 18u Eurorack, Octatrack, Pro2
Band: BLUSH_RESPONSE

Post by Joey » Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:40 pm

where is VOCODERMAN when we need him?
No one cares, no one sympathizes,
so you just stay home and play synthesizers.

http://wearereplicants.com

computron
Band: Computron

Post by computron » Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:25 pm

in my book the roland svc350 is the best vocoder ever!!Along with the vp it came from.I wanted one for so long and waited like a fool till they got expensive.800 I paid for mine.No other analog vocoder sounds like it.To me it sounds in every way how I think a vocoder should sound.No other vocoder i ever used has been as clear when vocoding then the svc.Either with ensamble on or off.Mine came with the orginal foot switch pedal.One of the best things I own hands down.

The nord modular /micro modular is a great vocoder as well .For a VA's its on top of the class!

The ms2000,micro korg ,and r-3 can sound ok with very little work but they are never up to power of the the nord modular/micro modular's vocoder

I have heard many good things about the v synth vocoder but alas I have never got to try one out first hand to say for sure.

I will also add the MAM VF-11 is a nice analog vocoder was well.Not near the svc but still nice.I would put it well above the Electrix Warp factory.I never realy liked the electrix warp factory. if we are talking about quality sound,flexabilty and vaule at todays prices then the vf11 wins hand down over the warp factory in my honest opinion
Last edited by computron on Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:07 am, edited 3 times in total.
Living the Electro Life

computron

Post by computron » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:30 am

here is vid of me using my svc in live situation for example "we are the freaks" nice and clean :mrgreen:

Last edited by computron on Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
Living the Electro Life

computron

Post by computron » Fri Mar 12, 2010 1:42 am

:twisted:
Last edited by computron on Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:40 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Living the Electro Life

aeon

Post by aeon » Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:53 am

tallowwaters wrote:The Nord Modular/MicroModular vocoders sound great at a decent price, but you will have to use software to edit. Really though, you could sit down one day, make you up about 30 patches and assign morph parameters and have enough vocoding for life. Both units have a tiny footprint as well.
computron wrote:The nord modular /micro modular is a great vocoder as well .For a VA's its on top of the class!
These two posts are full of wisdom. The Clavia Nord Mod G1 vocoder is great - if you are into a retro-flavored sound. Sometimes I wonder if Clavia modeled it after the Roland SVC-350 - not to sound just like it, but have a similar sweet-spot.

cheers,
Ian

pricklyrobot
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by pricklyrobot » Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:37 am

tallowwaters wrote:The Electrix Warp Factory is very popular around here, sounds great and is a very flexible unit. I assume by input signal you mean your own carrier wave? The Warp Factory can do this, I believe. pricklyrobot will be along shortly...
You rang?

Yep, WarpFactory has stereo 1/4" and RCA inputs (with an optional Phono setting, so you can use a turntable) for your carrier, and mono XLR and 1/4" inputs (+4 or -10dB switchable) for your formant. Can't comment on its "vintageness" (or lack thereof), as I'm not qualified—or interested—enough to judge. But it ticks everything on my two-point good gear checklist: Does it do what I expected it to do? (yep, sounds like a vocoder), is it intuitive and fun to use? (sure is!) Furthermore, they're built like tanks (bright red tanks with giant knobs ;) ), and they're easy to track down on Ebay for reasonable prices.

I love my Nord Modular too. But if you're interested in using it as anything other than a vocoder (and you should be :D ), I'd definitely say, save up the extra couple hundred and go for the rack or keyboard version over the Micro. With the Micro you really are tied to the computer (although as Tallow pointed out, if you're just interested in the vocoder, it's easy to skirt that limitation), whereas with the other two you can edit everything but the patch cords away from the PC.

You can't go wrong with either one. Personally, I like having a standalone vocoder just for convenience/flexibility's sake.
Last edited by pricklyrobot on Sat Mar 13, 2010 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Arturia MiniBrute -- bits o' Euro -- Sammich SID -- E-mu MP-7 -- Korg ER-1 -- Thingamagoop

stikygum

Post by stikygum » Sat Mar 13, 2010 7:18 am

I have the Mam VF-11 and just bought the mighty Doepfer vocoder system. Imho, those two are the best if you don't want to spend on a SVC. All other vocoders I've heard don't have an organic quality and sound sterile. You definitely need analog. I mean, with a VA/digital vocoder (besides Roland, because they know how to do a good vocoder) you get a 'vocoder effect' but it lacks if you want it to impact the listener. The listener won't feel what they can feel with an analog vocoder.

I really like the Mam vocoder, but I wanted to try the Doepfer for #1 I thought demos (on a different page with a comparison) sounded the best and #2 it is completely customizable and you can patch LFOs or whatever you can think of into to get off the wall vocoder stuff. I love vocoders and this seems like the best option even over the mighty SVC. But I have to wait and see once I get this, so this post is base on it's features and demos (I've listened to).
"MTV's gaudy overexuberance contributed to the trivialization of the one thing it had been initiated to support, music" - Rik Millhouse

computron

Post by computron » Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:41 am

stikygum

I agree with what you have said. I love good vocoders!!Your Doepfer on the way sounds intersting

The microkorg,r3,ms2000.Jp8000,Waldorf's,Quisimidi's ect never have that impact in sound you are talking about.Some can be made to sound good I have both micokorg and ms2000b. I can program them to sound good or to be a svc wantabe but they are always lacking that special special vocoder sound you mention.BUT HOW? does the Nord modular and micro modular have it ? I dont know ? It realy does! It does not sound like my SVC but can come very close.It can do much more then the svc but still have that sweet warmth.You can program it to sound thin and sterlie but its harder to make it sound that way then to sound good.The Nord vocoder realy shocked me by how warm and organic it can sound.Very MAMvf-11 like but different.The Nords are special in terms of a vocoder and everything else it can do.

Sure all other VA's and VSTs vocoders can produce a 'vocoder effect' but it always is lacking that special touch that the Nord and the analogs have.They realy are that good.I am a vocoder freak and have heard great things of the rolands V synth's vocoder I wonder if its a special vocoder like the nord? There are some analog vocoders out there that dont sound all that great either by the way.All vocoders are not created equal.:twisted:
Last edited by computron on Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Living the Electro Life