To buy? Roland Alpha Juno 2 nonworking?

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
spybar

To buy? Roland Alpha Juno 2 nonworking?

Post by spybar » Fri May 20, 2011 11:50 am

Hey mates,
I need your advice please.

Someone's selling a nonworking Roland Alpha Juno 2 for $120.

He says that the Alpha can turns on but does not boot, no sound. :ugeek:
1. Do you think it might be worth buying & giving it for a fix?
2. What could be the problem?
3. How hard & expensive could be the fix?

Thank you soooo much! ;)
Appreciate your help!

dustinh
Gear: juno-1, ensoniq sq-80, dsi mopho, microbrute, gretsch guitars, motu 2408, monotron, and caffeine

Re: To buy? Roland Alpha Juno 2 nonworking?

Post by dustinh » Fri May 20, 2011 2:14 pm

I would say don't bother with it. Alpha junos can be had for about $150-200 in working condition.

synthshaw

Post by synthshaw » Fri May 20, 2011 8:05 pm

dustinh wrote:I would say don't bother with it. Alpha junos can be had for about $150-200 in working condition.
If you can find me one for $200 working in the uk i'l take it now.
These synths are so underrated, and they can produce some monsterous bass as well as great pads.
Plus from what i've seen they are quite reliable apart from the aftertouch that sometimes goes bad.
There's one on ebay at the moment for £329 BIN.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ROLAND-JU-1-ALPHA ... 27b9607a7c

( well actually that's an Ajuno 1 with no velocity on keyboard )

Alex E
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Jupiter-6, Juno-60, Grandmother, DX7 (x2), QX1, Arp Odyssey MKII, EX-8000, S2400, Rhodes Stage MK1

Post by Alex E » Fri May 20, 2011 9:15 pm

They're cheaper in the United States. I've even found one myself once amongst some junk in a rummage sale, it wasn't for sale though. ;_;
But I don't think they're very uncommon or valuable. I'd say $200-$250 is about what a AJ2 is worth here, and like $100 less for a AJ1.

$120 for a broken one isn't worth it.
soundcloud.com/vectron

Yekuku
Gear: dk'tronics speech synthesizer :P

Post by Yekuku » Fri May 20, 2011 9:37 pm

I can understand your GAS for a juno because I was in exactly the same position, 3 months ago.
I was lucky, I managed to fix most of the issues except some minor . here is the thread:
http://www.vintagesynth.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=61448
Judging by the facts that u provide, it could be just a power supply problem but i doubt it.
Chances are that the seller had already tried to get it serviced and due to an expensive repair cost, he prefers to sell.
Anyways, the power supply provides voltage to the mainboard and to the LCD.
If it turns on just like u said, that means that the PS provides the 90V needed for the lcd operation, but maybe(?) fails to provide 12V & 5V to the mainboard. The fix here could be possibly just a capacitor / resistor replacement at the PS section.
BUT if the PS does provide the appropriate 12V & 5V to the mainboard, then you are screwed.
As user Pro5 posted in this thread, junos common problem are the the gate array ICs, which are hard to find, a bit expensive to buy and difficult to install cause they are SMD. Anyways I have no experience with dead gate arrays, just passing the information.
Good luck
It is all about sharing...