Need MIDI channel help

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
OsmosisPsychosis

Need MIDI channel help

Post by OsmosisPsychosis » Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:22 am

<~ On my own trying to set up my first synth studio. I'm working with a Prophet 600 and an Access Virus A. I have them connected correctly, but one option on the Virus that allows me to create my own sounds shows it is set to MIDI channel 4?? Anything that is MIDI channel 1, I can hear the notes I play on the Prophet. The Virus manual says: "If you do not hear a sound but you see a half note (blank note head) check to see if you are sending on the wrong MIDI Channel."
On either of these synths, I see no option for setting the MIDI channel. Help?
Last edited by OsmosisPsychosis on Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Re: Need MIDI channel help

Post by Z » Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:54 am

Since the SCI P-600 was the first synth with MIDI, I automatically assumed that you could not change the MIDI channel much like a "stock" Roland Jupiter 6. However, upon a Goole search, I found a website with a list of MIDI commands for the P-600. Here is what it says for changing the channel:" RECORD + 9 + TUNE - Channel Increment". Not sure if that information is saved on power down or if you have to do that proceedure every time you turn on the P-600.

The Access Virus manual should tell you how to change the MIDI channel for the Virus. Since the Virus is multi--timbral, you should not have any of the Virus' multi-timbral "parts" assigned to the same MIDI channel as the P-600 unless you want their sounds layered together.

OsmosisPsychosis

Post by OsmosisPsychosis » Sun Nov 06, 2011 1:20 am

Thank you so much, I will tinker with the Prophet and keep delving into the Virus manual. I appreciate the help!

skizzle
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by skizzle » Sun Nov 06, 2011 3:57 am

i looked on my indigo 2(virus c) and it has a "system/multi edit" (next to an edit) button which i see the virus a doesn't have. maybe hold edit and press multi? shot in the dark, but my system button gets me to all things midi in my virus.

OsmosisPsychosis

Post by OsmosisPsychosis » Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:25 pm

WHEW! Finally figured it out! Virus manual-not so helpful for dummies, but the Edit+Multi sure helped --thanks Skizzle! Couldnt get my Prophet to react to the channel program combos, but the keypad has dulled sensitivity. From CTRL+ MULTI in Virus I had to tab over to the program numbers and just value + until I found the correct program number to edit. And then I could select the MIDI channel. Much love to you guys :mrgreen:

I can only hear sound when the edit button is lit up though, will have to figure that one out :p

pricklyrobot
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by pricklyrobot » Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:00 pm

Z wrote:Here is what it says for changing the channel:" RECORD + 9 + TUNE - Channel Increment". Not sure if that information is saved on power down or if you have to do that procedure every time you turn on the P-600.
This only works if you have the latest OS ROM (Six-0-8, http://vintageplanet.nl/ have it for cheaper than Wine Country, FYI) installed. And you do have to do it again every time you power up. Actually you should do "RECORD + 8" to turn Omni off, then do "RECORD + 9 + TUNE".
Arturia MiniBrute -- bits o' Euro -- Sammich SID -- E-mu MP-7 -- Korg ER-1 -- Thingamagoop

OsmosisPsychosis

Post by OsmosisPsychosis » Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:31 pm

Thank you! Noted for future tinkerings! :)