ION Issues

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
Jaxamillian

ION Issues

Post by Jaxamillian » Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:13 pm

Hey all

So my ION has a couple issues I'm wondering if you could help with.

First, the volume pot is messed up. When turning it down, the volume just kind of stays the same on the left speaker but turns down on the right speaker. I talked to a tech who said it they could fix it for about 70$. Kind of mad because this problem was only present after I got it back from said tech for something else.

Second, and this might be related to the volume knob issue- The sound crackles when the output seems to get high. I can stop the crackling by turning down the program output level knob, but once the output is set to about 50 or so, the output crackles slightly, getting progressively more intense the louder it gets, or the more polyphony I add. It almost sounds like clipping. I'll see if I can add an audio clip later.

Third- the resonance knob on the Filter 1 is jumpy. Instead of rising and falling in a smooth manner, it will kind of stay put for a split second and then jump up. This one is a more minor issue.

Just wondering if anyone has any knowledge of these situations, and what the problems might be.

Also, this ION (and a MicroKorg are for sale). Not because of these problems, but because I wanna sell both of these and pick up an MS2000. Asking 300 for the ION, 180 for the MicroKorg.

Thanks.

EmptySet
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Gear: MS20, x0xb0x, JV-1080, JX-3P, JX-8P(PG800), Juno Stage, VFX-SD, VL-1, ARP Omni I, D-50, DW6000

Re: ION Issues

Post by EmptySet » Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:23 pm

There is a common problem on Ions where the FETS on the output can go bad. Replacement is the fix. Not sure how complicated the job is. I lucked out an didn't have to do it before I sold my Ion. Anyway, you may want to get a more informed opinion about your symptoms, but what you describe sounds much like what I've heard others say when their FETs went bad.

As for the encoder problem: I haven't a clue how to fix that or why it's doing that.

Yekuku
Gear: dk'tronics speech synthesizer :P

Re: ION Issues

Post by Yekuku » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:50 pm

It is all about sharing...