tetra or possible alternatives?

A forum for discussing the pros & cons of buying a particular synth and for advice on buying synthesizers.
renton

tetra or possible alternatives?

Post by renton » Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:38 pm

hey everyone,

i'm thinking about getting a tetra as i'm craving an analog poly synth... now i was wondering if there are other alternatives which are roughly in the same price range? also i would rather get something in production as don't want to be bothered with temperamental old circuits. any help would be greatly appreciated!

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Re: tetra or possible alternatives?

Post by pflosi » Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:08 pm

Welcome to the forum!

Nothing modern that comes to my mind really... The P08 rack is already double the price.

Out of old synths in similar price ranges, you might consider the Roland Juno and JX series (and their corresponding rack versions) or Korg Poly800 / DW6000 / DW8000 / Polysix... That's what I'd be looking at outta my head... not nearly as complex as the tetra, no multitimbrality or USB etc., but those are nice synths that deliver good results easily...

Also, IMO it really starts to get interesting with the Tetra once you add a Mopho Kbd for knobiness, keyboard and fifth voice ;) that's my polysynth for live, I wanted it in as little space as possible...

What other gear do you have / use? What music styles are you looking at? That might make a difference...

Hope that helps a little bit,

Cheers

renton

Post by renton » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:16 pm

thanks!

at the moment i'm using: microkorg, miniak, various soft synths, monotribe and a really temperamental (and obscure) firstman fs4v.

i guess the stuff i do is psychedelic, really into the berlin school stuff (klaus schulze and tangerine dream) looking for some lush pads and sequencing/arp sounds. so i guess that nowadays everyone is just doing analog mono synths?

portability is a defiantly a plus.

is it true that the tetra is essentially a prophet 08 with half the voices? i really dig the sounds you can get with it. seems like a good way to get some carpenter-esque sounds. also do you have to buy a software editor for the tetra, or does it come with one?

Ashe37
Gear: Ensoniq SD-1/32,SQR,VFX,ESQm
Virus Indigo, M3-61 , MS2000BR, Volca Bass
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r
TG-33, K3m, Blofeld, Micron, Mopho, BS II, JV-1080
Band: Eridani V

Post by Ashe37 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:13 pm

renton wrote: is it true that the tetra is essentially a prophet 08 with half the voices? i really dig the sounds you can get with it. seems like a good way to get some carpenter-esque sounds. also do you have to buy a software editor for the tetra, or does it come with one?
The tetra is four voices of a mopho. It has features the Prophet 08 does not, namely filter feedback and the two sub-oscillators.

It comes with a software editor from soundtower that is pretty poor. There is a guy that has made a VST editor for the mopho that is working on one for the Tetra as well.

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by pflosi » Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:18 am

There's also an upgrade for the software editor which costs a little bit, but I'm not sure what it does exactly - surely not fix the bugs, IIRC it's mostly about making the arrangement of patches easier in the process of saving...?

The DSI stuff can do nice sequencing / arpeggios, especially if you add some nice fx after it. But probably a mono would even be enough for you (you can always multitrack for pads)...? Maybe go for a Mopho Kbd first, then later you can add a Tetra to have a nice portable knobby five voice analog synth. There's not much options regarding modern analog polys...

Ashe37
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r

Post by Ashe37 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:26 pm

pflosi wrote:There's also an upgrade for the software editor which costs a little bit, but I'm not sure what it does exactly - surely not fix the bugs, IIRC it's mostly about making the arrangement of patches easier in the process of saving...?
The upgrade adds a librarian function but does nothing for the bugginess or klunkiness...

Rick N Boogie
Gear: MEK/Blofeld/Phatty/JP08/DrumBrute/ER1
Basses/synth fx galore
Band: no.one.won

Post by Rick N Boogie » Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:17 am

DSI has a new analog poly, the MoPho 4x. I'd be looking there. A regular MoPho kb is also a great starting point.
Bassist, synth junkie

renton

Post by renton » Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:30 pm

thanks for the input everyone, i was at the music store the other day and i tried out the mopho and the prophet 08. i know that factory presets aren't really the best way to judge a synth but i really have to say the prophet sounded much nicer to me. now i'm really wondering if they (tetra, mopho and prophet08) all have the same sound engine? because if so i would lean towards the tetra, because monophonic synths just don't cut it for me.

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Post by pflosi » Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:21 am

renton wrote:now i'm really wondering if they (tetra, mopho and prophet08) all have the same sound engine? because if so i would lean towards the tetra, because monophonic synths just don't cut it for me.
As stated earlier:
Ashe37 wrote: The tetra is four voices of a mopho. It has features the Prophet 08 does not, namely filter feedback and the two sub-oscillators.
The new mopho 4x indeed looks nice as well...

Hair

Post by Hair » Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:27 pm

DSI wrote:The voice architecture is identical to a single voice of the Prophet '08, but with a couple of unique twists to distinguish it from its award-winning sibling.
So while the MoPho/Tetr4 do have some more features than the P'08, I believe they will have the same basic sound, no? If so, it seems like the MoPho 4x seems like the coolest option to me (as long as you're ok with 4 voices and as I understand it, no multitimbrality?)

renton

Post by renton » Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:03 am

i've decided to go with a tetra. the new 4 voice mopho looks great but i don't have that kind of cash to shell out right now. thanks for everyone's help

Ashe37
Emu XL-7, Matrix 6r

Post by Ashe37 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:03 pm

Hair wrote:
DSI wrote:The voice architecture is identical to a single voice of the Prophet '08, but with a couple of unique twists to distinguish it from its award-winning sibling.
So while the MoPho/Tetr4 do have some more features than the P'08, I believe they will have the same basic sound, no? If so, it seems like the MoPho 4x seems like the coolest option to me (as long as you're ok with 4 voices and as I understand it, no multitimbrality?)

the same *basic* sounds, as long as you don't use the sub-oscs or filter feedback. reiterated by the fact that half the mopho factory presets are prophet 08 presets and sound pretty much the same.