best 'choir' patches?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.
Band: Minim

Re: best 'choir' patches?

Post by madtheory » Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:01 pm

tekkentool wrote:Absolutely cannot stand that 90s era rompler styled cheesy choir pad sound.
I agree, but I think there are some exceptions. The Korg M1 choir (which is sampled off the CMI3 choir) is great, as the the Kawai K4 choir. The Emu Proteus/ EIIIx choir is useful too.

tekkentool wrote:If I could get my hands on the orchestron samples I'd be a fan too.
You can get the sample disk from http://www.optigan.com That has all of the Optigan, Talentmaker and Orchestron sounds in Kontakt format. Can't give you a direct link because there's a cookie loop problem with their site right now. But I can tell you they're excellent- although all I've done with them so far is to play Ohm Sweet Ohm for an hour. :)

c-level
Gear: Juno106, JX10, JX8P, JX3P, MKS50, SY22, SH201, Micromoog, CP 251, Korg Legacy, Triton Rack, Ableton 9, APC40, Max/MSP, Focusrite Pro40, Jazz Bass.
Band: C-Level

Post by c-level » Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:39 pm

madtheory wrote:
tekkentool wrote:Absolutely cannot stand that 90s era rompler styled cheesy choir pad sound.
I agree, but I think there are some exceptions. The Korg M1 choir (which is sampled off the CMI3 choir) is great, as the the Kawai K4 choir. The Emu Proteus/ EIIIx choir is useful too.

Which M1 programs do you like? I been using the M1 legacy cuz its the easiest rompler like sound in my box.

Cybercardinal
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Cybercardinal » Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:42 pm

There is lots of choirs in Omnispere, both real and synth.

But of course now we are going soft

Cybercardinal
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Cybercardinal » Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:51 pm

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Post by tekkentool » Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:54 pm

It sucks because I don't have them but I feel like there's nothing in the synth/In the box realm that can compete with Requiem Pro and Liberis (kiddy choir version). They both sound absolutely phenomenal, unlike almost any other sampled choir I've ever heard It'd be impossible for the average person to even pick up their use.

http://8dio.com/?btp_product=requiem-pro

http://8dio.com/?btp_product=liberis

Listen to these demos and don't lie and tell me you didn't f**k jizz your pants (Especially the kiddy choir no pedo)

OH JAYSUZ THOSE DYNAMICS.

OH SO CRYSTALLINE.

blavatsky
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: MV8800, Sub37, Integra 7, Mininova, Fusion, Biscuit, TimeFactor, SP-555, SP-404, SPD-SX
Band: Blavatsky

Post by blavatsky » Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:18 pm

^
Wow, not usually a VSTi/software sampler guy but those sound amazing

Already mentioned, but I still love the old mellotron choir, especially with effects.
The Alesis Fusion has some great ones...look for hollow sun's stuff, Giovanni Choir I think is one...
Slightly cheesier but still usuable, the Roland JV gear has usuable choirs, especially when using layering and external effects.

philip

Post by philip » Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:37 pm

alesis-andromeda-a6

vin14
Gear: ∂Juno1 / BassStation Rack / CS-5 / D-50 / DX7 / Juno-106 / M1 / Minibrute / SK20 / SY85 / Trident / Voyager OS / Minimonsta / ImpOSCar
Band: oddball

Post by vin14 » Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:45 am

tekkentool wrote:Absolutely cannot stand that 90s era rompler styled cheesy choir pad sound. Hate it with a burning passion..
I'm going to go against the grain here, I'm partial to some of that! Though I'd turn to the SY-85 before the M1. I also recall come nice choir sounds on Faith No More records of that era, I think they used an Emax II at the time.

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Post by Hybrid88 » Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:45 pm

tekkentool wrote:

OH SO CRYSTALLINE.
Woah that's impressive 8-)

Piano was sublime too, wonder if it was also soft.

EDIT: Oh... My.... :shock: :shock: :shock:

Cybercardinal
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Cybercardinal » Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:10 pm

tekkentool wrote:

OH JAYSUZ THOSE DYNAMICS.

OH SO CRYSTALLINE.

Thank you. I like that

tekkentool
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Lasers (ส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้ ωส้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้้)
Band: none currently

Post by tekkentool » Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:22 pm

Hybrid88 wrote:

I really love 8dio, all of my immediate spare cash that is not going into buying PT and new monitors is just going to go straight into their sample libs, I have their Epic Dhol set and it absolutely smashes it out of the park, I'll usually use stormdrum2 layers underneath then when I finally need the percussion moneyshot I'll bring in the Epic Dhol and it's like the world has been snapped in two whenever they come in. 10/10 would recommend.

(Also worth noting their downloader and customer support has been good for me over the 2 products I have thus far used, installs on multiple computers with no hassle etc.)

I don't know if they are anymore but the company used to be about 3 people, they do good work.

HideawayStudio
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: 163 tubes in a large wooden box!
Band: Shortwave

Post by HideawayStudio » Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:53 pm

Synthesized Choirs and Strings are a total obsession of mine.....

Here is a demo of a 100% synthesized choir of mine comprising of nearly 100 samples captured from two hand configured tube signal generators (one for vibrato) an L/C formant resonator circuit, a DIY tube overdrive and a 9 band tube EQ of my design. (The discrete signal path was designed to emulate that of the Novachord):

Last edited by HideawayStudio on Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:47 pm, edited 4 times in total.

_seph
Gear: Full OCP binary cyborg technology

Post by _seph » Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:26 pm

HideawayStudio wrote:Choirs and Strings are a total obession of mine.....

Here is a demo of a 100% synthesized choir of mine comprising of nearly 100 samples captured from two hand configured tube signal generators (one for vibrato) an L/C formant resonator circuit, a DIY tube overdrive and a 9 band tube EQ of my design.

http://soundcloud.com/hideaway-studio/h ... -celestial
That was great, as is your Novachord video. Well done.

cornutt
Gear: 6th

Post by cornutt » Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:36 pm

DesolationBlvd wrote: I always thought the Polysix did a great analog choir. The self-oscillation in SSM2044 helps. IR3109 as used in Juno-60 makes it sound more like an organ.
Yeah, you can't push the IR3109-based filters hard enough in resonance to get very many formant effects before it goes into oscillation. The JD800 can do some reasonably good vowel sounds because its (digital) filter can be cranked to very high resonance levels and it does not self-oscillate. I'll try to post something, but it probably won't be tonight.
Switches, knobs, buttons, LEDs, LCD screens, monitors, keys, mice, jacks, sockets. Now two joysticks!

cornutt
Gear: 6th

Post by cornutt » Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:38 pm

garranimal wrote:The Kawai K5000 series synths are most excellent for choir, has a 128-band formant filter.
It does? Damn, I didn't know that. I knew it had a lowpass filter, but... Question that occurs to me: Is it really a filter, or is it manipulating the partial levels in the additive engine.

I'm all jealous now... the K5 doesn't have that.
Switches, knobs, buttons, LEDs, LCD screens, monitors, keys, mice, jacks, sockets. Now two joysticks!