Why the V-Synth is the best thing Roland ever did

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Pro5
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: OB-6 | SH-2 | JX-3P | JD-800 | Performer

Re: Why the V-Synth is the best thing Roland ever did

Post by Pro5 » Sat Aug 09, 2014 6:07 pm

mute wrote:failing to notice sarcasm then trying to point out why it wasn't sarcasm?
...suppose it has to wear a dress or it's lost in translation.

:lol:
hmm that makes sense.

You are not the original poster so stop being a d**k about it.

Now I know why you call yourself 'mute', cos you compel people to place you on it.

Now that's sarcasm (and some bonus irony) my friend.

/blocked

knolan
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by knolan » Sun Aug 24, 2014 2:51 pm

I'm a V-Synth GT owner and love it.

Why is the V-Synth loved by so many over the V-Synth GT?

What is it about the V-Synth that deserves such love and passion (I ask as I'm contemplating a V-Synth too , and want to hear what it is about the original that's better / more liked than the V-Synth GT).

Thanks,
Kevin

Hybrid88
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: V-Synth, and other stuff...

Post by Hybrid88 » Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:41 pm

Well allow me to answer that, seeing as it's something that I wanted to know myself (owing and loving the original). I only tried the GT briefly but it didn't take me long to make my mind up.

To me it was a faff to use in comparison, thanks to it's not very well laid out "dual" architecture. On the original it is direct, immediate and logical. On the GT it is none of those things, and the godawful colours do it no favours either. The GT *should* have been better, but it just wasn't. Of course sound wise they are the same, but that's not the issue. You also lose the D-50 option on the GT, which may or may not be a bad thing :lol:

But, it is no doubt a fine instrument and indeed sports more power than the original.

If you're happy with the GT (and its shortcomings) I wouldn't recommend getting an original. My 2¢ ;)

knolan
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by knolan » Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:41 pm

Thanks for your reply. Glad to hear that they sound the same (in the departments they share - I believe the GT has some extra capabilities).

Interesting that it's in the ease of use that the issue lies. I agree that thee original looks very nice with the signal path laid out better on the control surface.

Actually, I do find the V-SynthGT to be one of the easiest synths to get used to and to use. I find its Russian-Doll type OS very straight forward - from the top screen level into inner levels at the patch level and to even finer granularity. I genuinely mean that - even when I bought it I found I could access most features without having to refer to the manual to learn it - extremely well thought out.

I also own the JP80 and though I like a lot of its sound capabilities, its OS is a disaster (to me). Even though superficially it has a similar hierarchical structure to the V-Synth GT, it's a nightmare to navigate - there are so many screens and it seems always confusing where you actually are.

colmon

Post by colmon » Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:44 am

Nope. V-Synth Is Basically Soft Synth Running Inside Overpriced Controller. Nothing Innovative About This Instrument. Sound Is Very Cold And 2D Because Of Digital Sound Creation. Best Rolland Synth Is Jupiters-8, Sound Is In Full 3D And Is Very Warm And Hi-Definition. But Nowdays It Is Very Expensive But It Is OK Because Soft Synth Like DIVA Get Us 99% There.

Broadwave
Gear: Kronos 2-88, System 8, MODX6, ARP Odyssey, BroadWAVE ARP 2600EX, BroadWAVE Modular, BroadWAVE Sparta, BroadWAVE Minimoog, oh... and some guitars.

Post by Broadwave » Mon Oct 03, 2016 1:50 pm

colmon wrote:Nothing Innovative About This Instrument.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

No, of course not... VariPhrase (cough!) COSM (cough!!) not to mention it's still probably Roland's best example of a VA synth.

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:01 pm

Don't feed the troll.

Stab Frenzy
Gear: Eurorack, RYTM, Ultranova, many FX

Post by Stab Frenzy » Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:57 pm

Is it ok to point out that the troll was replying to a spambot trying to advertise home foot massagers? :lol:

pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: more than 150 characters...

Post by pflosi » Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:02 pm

Yes :D