Korg SQ-1 MIDI sync?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
vinyl_junkie
Gear: Akai samplers

Korg SQ-1 MIDI sync?

Post by vinyl_junkie » Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:23 pm

So I'm eyeing up this SQ-1 BUT how the h**l would I sync this thing to MIDI clock WITHOUT using the USB socket?

My sequencer is a MPC which lacks any USB connectivity so how could I do this?
I notice a sync in/out, is that like a trig input? Because if it is I could then send pulses from the MPC's individual out right?

hageir
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: http://www.geirhelgi.com/
https://soundcloud.com/geir-helgi
Band: Geir Helgi

Re: Korgue SQ-1 MIDI sync?

Post by hageir » Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:02 pm

vinyl_junkie wrote:So I'm eyeing up this SQ-1 BUT how the h**l would I sync this thing to MIDI clock WITHOUT using the USB socket?

I notice a sync in/out, is that like a trig input? Because if it is I could then send pulses from the MPC's individual out right?
Master MIDI sequencer/drum machine -> Something with MIDI In AND a trigger-out -> SQ-1?

Also, after some discussion, my guess would be you would have to mod the SQ-1 with a Start/Restart trigger in as well (you could wire it into the same point as the Start button the SQ-1)
Elektron MnM & MD UW, DSI MEK & Prophet REV2 16 Voices baby!, Ensoniq VFX & ESQ-1, SE-1X, Korg MS-20mini, Polysix, SH-101 (red), 707, CR-8000, KPR-77, PO-12, Yamaha C1 Music Computer, Synare PS-1, FX, mixers, some more stuff..

vinyl_junkie

Post by vinyl_junkie » Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:09 pm

hageir wrote:
vinyl_junkie wrote:So I'm eyeing up this SQ-1 BUT how the h**l would I sync this thing to MIDI clock WITHOUT using the USB socket?

Master MIDI sequencer/drum machine -> Something with MIDI In AND a trigger-out -> SQ-1?

Also, after some discussion, my guess would be you would have to mod the SQ-1 with a Start/Restart trigger in as well (you could wire it into the same point as the Start button the SQ-1)
Aye I did think of this... I just sold my LXR drum machine lol
My Super Bass Station has a clock output, although I don't know much about it...

vinyl_junkie

Post by vinyl_junkie » Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:11 pm

hageir wrote:
vinyl_junkie wrote: Also, after some discussion, my guess would be you would have to mod the SQ-1 with a Start/Restart trigger in as well (you could wire it into the same point as the Start button the SQ-1)
Yep that was my next question...

To me seems like a gaping omission from Korg, who cares about a Little Bits out give us MIDI I/O as well as the CV/Trig options

hageir
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by hageir » Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:14 pm

vinyl_junkie wrote:
hageir wrote:

Aye I did think of this... I just sold my LXR drum machine lol
My Super Bass Station has a clock output, although I don't know much about it...
The other Volca's all have MIDI IN and a Sync Out, so you could get one of those in front of the SQ-1..

But the Bass Station has a CV/Gate interface (on a seperate channel)
so you could actually sequence that track in your MIDI sequencer to specify the steps for the SQ-1 (using the Gate signal to step the SQ-1)

I've got a Machinedrum which is awesome for trigger purposes, I use the individual outs for the trigger in on my SH-101, CS-15 and Matrix-6R, I'm actually quite fond of triggers, because you can specify the steps yourself..

If you've got a drum machine with MIDI you can probably use one output from that (loud) into the SQ-1 Sync In..
Elektron MnM & MD UW, DSI MEK & Prophet REV2 16 Voices baby!, Ensoniq VFX & ESQ-1, SE-1X, Korg MS-20mini, Polysix, SH-101 (red), 707, CR-8000, KPR-77, PO-12, Yamaha C1 Music Computer, Synare PS-1, FX, mixers, some more stuff..

hageir
Expert Member
Expert Member

Re: Korg SQ-1 MIDI sync?

Post by hageir » Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:17 pm

(The SH-101's sequencer's needs to be started on it's own, you can either press the Play button in sync by hand OR start it before the Master then it waits for a click/sync signal to start stepping/rolling)

My guess is that the SQ-1 is the same, while the Master is stopped, press play on the SQ-1 then start the Master and the SQ-1 will start rolling from the 1st click...

vinyl_junkie

Post by vinyl_junkie » Tue Apr 14, 2015 8:27 pm

hageir wrote:(The SH-101's sequencer's needs to be started on it's own, you can either press the Play button in sync by hand OR start it before the Master then it waits for a click/sync signal to start stepping/rolling)

My guess is that the SQ-1 is the same, while the Master is stopped, press play on the SQ-1 then start the Master and the SQ-1 will start rolling from the 1st click...

I some times used to do this with the JX-3P and SH-101's sequencer, using one of the individual outputs on the MPC :)

I sold the 3P a long time ago and the 101 wasn't mine.. Any way

c-level
Gear: Juno106, JX10, JX8P, JX3P, MKS50, SY22, SH201, Micromoog, CP 251, Korg Legacy, Triton Rack, Ableton 9, APC40, Max/MSP, Focusrite Pro40, Jazz Bass.
Band: C-Level

Post by c-level » Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:34 pm

hageir wrote:

not sure i understand what you detailed. i asked this in another post tho...

could i in theory MIDI Sync my EHX 8step and use a two step hi-lo 'square wave' out as a trigger? im not totally sure how gates/trigs work versus linear CV voltages...

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:00 pm

What are you planning to sequence with the SQ-1? When slaved to MIDI clock it will not output MIDI :shock: CV only. It will lock the Volca sync out to the incoming MIDI clock.

If you want to use the SQ-1 to sequence MIDI gear it must be the clock master.

Hey, it's only $99 :roll:
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

vinyl_junkie

Post by vinyl_junkie » Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:04 pm

meatballfulton wrote:What are you planning to sequence with the SQ-1? When slaved to MIDI clock it will not output MIDI :shock: CV only. It will lock the Volca sync out to the incoming MIDI clock.

If you want to use the SQ-1 to sequence MIDI gear it must be the clock master.

Hey, it's only $99 :roll:
My MS-20 mini and maybe the 700s when ever I get round to giving it CV/Gate, for the price it looks quite fun

hageir
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by hageir » Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:27 am

One would definitely use it to sequence older CV/Hz gear…

Yeah, what I meant is;

If the Master MIDI Sequencer/Drum Machine has individual outs you might be able to use one of those to send a click/sound to the Sync In on the SQ-1

You basically just need a steady pulse to feed into the Sync In,
sometimes a clap or a rim shot works from a drum machine, sometimes a loud sample, sometimes an actual Pulse/Gate signal… Just try different things ;) -ps. they all have different sync styles (i.e. the length of the sample or pulse; duty-cycle)