Firewire interface/mixer for G5

Discussions on sound production outside the synthesizer such as mixing, processing, recording, editing and mastering.
Jay200MPH
Gear: Currently active:
x0xb0x, MC-202, Microkorg, PSR-36, mini-KP, SA-5, JV-1010, S-760, CMU-800.
Sequenced in Impulse Tracker on a P233 w/AWE64+GUS.

Firewire interface/mixer for G5

Post by Jay200MPH » Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:04 am

Lots of mixer talk lately... well, here's mine. I'd like to replace my analog (only) mixer with something that does the same job but also acts as a multi-channel audio interface. Here are some rough requirements:

- At least 14 analog input channels (my current Behringer 1832FX has 6 mono + 4 stereo (8) and it is full)
- Has/accepts rack ears and fits at the top of a normal sized road case, ~35cm deep or so
- Has some nice onboard effects (especially reverb / delay)
- Outputs all channels individually to Firewire/USB for true multitracking (I've heard of some USB ones that only output a stereo mixdown? WTF?)
- Some kind of onscreen virtual mixing/routing interface would be ace
- Prefer Firewire (FW400/800) if possible. I hate USB. :P

...and the kicker:

- Compatible with OSX Leopard on a Powermac G5. Linux support would be nice too. Must show up as a standard Core Audio device so I can use it in other software like Reaper & Ardour.

- On that note, should be ~10 years old and available used, because I am cheap. :P

Suggestions appreciated!

meatballfulton
Gear: Live 9, Logic Pro X

Re: Firewire interface/mixer for G5

Post by meatballfulton » Sat Aug 29, 2015 2:53 pm

10 years old, Firewire and cheap?

Not as old, not as cheap and maybe not as small as you'd like: Presonus StudioLive 16.0.2 can be found used on eBay for $600-800. 12 mike ins, 16 line ins.

Yamaha O1v, O2v with a FW (MLAN) card.

Good luck.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

Jay200MPH
Gear: Currently active:
x0xb0x, MC-202, Microkorg, PSR-36, mini-KP, SA-5, JV-1010, S-760, CMU-800.
Sequenced in Impulse Tracker on a P233 w/AWE64+GUS.

Re: Firewire interface/mixer for G5

Post by Jay200MPH » Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:09 pm

That last line was a little bit tongue in cheek. :P
But yeah, too new = no G5 support, and I don't really want to drop a grand on this either.

I'd also consider a 1U/2U audio interface with enough channels and strictly on-screen virtual mixer... This setup is up for sale locally, but not sure if I want to deal with a massive cable snake. I was hoping to get everything in one.