Digital Drumkits vs Analog Synth Drums

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Angstwulf

Re: Digital Drumkits vs Analog Synth Drums

Post by Angstwulf » Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:01 pm

Z has it right. These sounds are pretty easy to replicate.

As an aside:

I'm putting my money on the Kelly Marie track using a Simmons kit.

I'm going to guess that the Ultravox drum sounds were either heavily processed acoustic drums (something that Conrad Planck and the core members of Ultravox - Cann, Curry and Cross - were known for) or, more likely, a Roland CR-78 CompuRhythm.

Warren Cann gets overlooked as an early drum machine pioneer but he may have been the first to circuit bend a CR-78 to make it programmable (it was not, and used preset patterns) and to mess with the tones.

Here's a good article:

http://mikedolbear.com/british-drum-ico ... rren-cann/

80snostalgia

Post by 80snostalgia » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:46 am

Thanks. I was trying to work out Warren's electric drum kit he has for the last ever Ultravox they did the Eden one.

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Post by Z » Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:06 pm

Angstwulf wrote: I'm putting my money on the Kelly Marie track using a Simmons kit.
Maybe the Musicaid SDS-3 or SDS-4, but not the famous Simmons SDSV. I still think it's just a synthesizer. very easy to create.
Warren Cann gets overlooked as an early drum machine pioneer but he may have been the first to circuit bend a CR-78 to make it programmable (it was not, and used preset patterns) and to mess with the tones.
The CR-78 has 4 slots for user programmable patterns. It is rather difficult to program without the WS-1 Write Switch.

CR stands for CompuRhythm. In 1978, Roland introduced their instruments with programmable user memory with "Compu" in their names: CR-78 CompuRhythm, Jupiter 4 CompuPhonic and ProMars CompuPhonic.

EDIT: I glanced over the at article on Warren Cann. So it sounds like they figured out a way to overwrite some of the useless preset patterns with patterns they used on songs and could easily recall them for live performances.
youtube.com/zibbybone facebook.com/ZsFlippinGear