DIY Ribbon Controller (Prophet 6 and Korg Mono/Poly)

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
chipaudette

DIY Ribbon Controller (Prophet 6 and Korg Mono/Poly)

Post by chipaudette » Thu Mar 31, 2016 3:48 pm

Hi All,

I made myself a ribbon controller that talks MIDI. If you're interested, here's a demo with my Prophet 6...

http://synthhacker.blogspot.com/2016/03 ... oller.html

It's amazing how fun it is to have a non-piano interface for a synth. It really does inspire different ways of playing. And it doesn't all have to be "dolphins in space" kinds of sounds...I found that straight-up bass lines, for example, are a totally party when using the ribbon. It just makes me feel so much looser and in the groove (whether my actual playing is groovy is a whole different question).

What's your experience been with ribbon controllers?

Chip
Last edited by chipaudette on Thu Apr 07, 2016 2:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Zamise
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Rollhand P00
Band: Quantum-Source

Re: DIY MIDI Ribbon Controller (with Prophet 6)

Post by Zamise » Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:02 pm

You should program different progressions of notes, sort of like a Roland DBeam controller, except instead of having to wave your hands around it would be on a slider above your keys which means it wouldn't be gimmicky at all.
<ZQS> [....<OII>.....soundcloud player v2.42.....................link]

chipaudette

Re: DIY Ribbon Controller (Prophet 6 and Korg Mono/Poly)

Post by chipaudette » Thu Apr 07, 2016 2:51 am

I didn't do a D-beam, but I did extend my ribbon controller so that it can do CV, not just MIDI. If you're interested, you can check out the CV ribbon, including a demo on my Korg Mono/Poly, at:

http://synthhacker.blogspot.com/2016/04 ... er-cv.html

Interestingly, the ribbon somehow *feels* better when driving a synth via CV. Maybe the continuous nature of CV is better suited to the continuous nature of a ribbon, at least when compared to the quantized keyboard assumptions built into MIDI.

Chip