I Need Help Identifying A Synth

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
CyberStien

I Need Help Identifying A Synth

Post by CyberStien » Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:46 pm

I've been trying to figure out what synth this is for quite a while now with no luck. I have two examples of it that I believe are of the same instrument/patch:

The first is the intro of St. Lenox's "Don't Ever Change Me New York City":

The second is the main melody of Siktransit's "Touchy", starting @ ~0.45:

I think one of the key parts of this instrument/patch is how it sounds when notes are "strummed" or "staggered" (St. Lennox @ ~0:08) (Siktransit @ ~0:51)

So far in my searching the closest thing I've found is an Suzuki Omnichord but even that isn't very close. I've even gone as far as reaching out to the original artists online but neither has responded.

My knowledge of synthesizers is very limited so I have no clue what it is and I'd appreciate just about any information you can provide - likely synthesis technique, probable processing effects, likely age range, synths that might not be exactly right but can sound similar, anything really.

Thanks in advance!

CyberStien

Re: I Need Help Identifying A Synth

Post by CyberStien » Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:05 pm

I managed to get a reply from one of the artists themselves, St. Lenox:
I don't remember, but it was from the MicroKorg (the one with the vocoder), but it was fairly direct from one of the presets. I think I pumped it through a Yamaha THR10 Modeling Amp, and recorded with probably the Rode NT2 (which is what I had used generally for that record).
I don't have a MicroKorg to page through to find the preset but when I get one I'll find it and hopefully post a follow-up for posterity.