[Question to PPG Wave geeks] How to create that sound?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
Jazzyman17

[Question to PPG Wave geeks] How to create that sound?

Post by Jazzyman17 » Sat Oct 30, 2021 12:34 pm

Hello! Newbie here. ;)
First of all very nice forum here. See you like to talk about what synth in which production was used back then, so definitely my cup of tea, moreover very generous people here eager to help. Well... :D

You probably know Axel Breitung, the producer for Silent Circle. That guy in the 80's made sounds using only the PPG Wave. It's crazy...
To the point. I like to play around with my PPG Wave emulation (Waldorf) to challenge myself to make those iconic Axel's sounds. And one of them seems to me to be not too easy to recreate, I mean that "quasi-strat guitar" (examples below).
As far as I'm informed, that type of sound may be created with the 031 Piano/Sax wave. But situation complicates when it goes to set knobs in right way, because Piano/Sax is very sensitive, each degree makes much different sound and, moreover... Am I right that wave contains an additional transient on certain degrees? Then to that there appear sub-waves and keyboard mode setting possibilities. So... If anyone here knows PPG Wave very well then I need an advice what could I do.
If to set sub-waves on offset or direct or ENV3? If to work with sub-waves at all? Which keyboard mode to set (dual, quad, mono)? Or maybe it's other wave, not Piano/Sax? Or maybe it's a sample from waveterm :lol: , what I doubt in, since in each of Axel's songs that "guitar" sounds slightly different. One more very important thing is that Axel usually mixed the sound made on synth with samples from Waveterm.
Well, that's your thoughts on this?
Here are the examples (One Drive):
https://1drv.ms/u/s!Akor08trBL8kgRFla-TZYPM2pDW1

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Wurlitzer Opus 1536, Model F, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.

Re: [Question to PPG Wave geeks] How to create that sound?

Post by madtheory » Sat Oct 30, 2021 12:44 pm

My thoughts are it's not coming from a PPG wavetable. It sounds quite static. Like a sample. Could he have used the Waveterm too?

Jazzyman17

Post by Jazzyman17 » Sat Oct 30, 2021 1:17 pm

madtheory wrote:
Sat Oct 30, 2021 12:44 pm
My thoughts are it's not coming from a PPG wavetable. It sounds quite static. Like a sample.
You know, in this case I'd love to present you my trials. I succeed to create very similar ones, but give me a while, maybe I will manage to get closer. But don't you know that Wavetable makes sampler-sounding static sounds? Cause it uses 8-bit wave samples for synthesis.

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Wurlitzer Opus 1536, Model F, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.

Post by madtheory » Sun Oct 31, 2021 12:17 pm

Yes, it can do both can't it? You can play the "transient" as PPG call the sample. This is like a regular sampler. Or you can analyse it to make a wavetable of a single cycle section.

ppg_wavecomputer
Expert Member
Expert Member
Gear: more keys than hands (and feet)
Band: ['ramp]

Post by ppg_wavecomputer » Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:23 am

https://bishopsongs.de/interview_keys.php

He mentions the acquisition of the Wave and the Waveterm with 8" discs -- must have been a Waveterm A then.

The PPG is unfathomable. That's the fun of it.

Stephen
"Like the light from distant stars, Stephen Parsick's music has existed for some time, but is only now reaching us on Earth." Chuck van Zyl

https://doombientmusic.bandcamp.com/

https://ramp1.bandcamp.com/

https://stephenparsick.bandcamp.com/

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by madtheory » Thu Nov 04, 2021 12:53 pm

ppg_wavecomputer wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:23 am

The PPG is unfathomable. That's the fun of it.
Agreed :)

AnalogKid

Post by AnalogKid » Tue Nov 16, 2021 2:16 pm

How do you make this PPG bass sound? The bass kicks in at 0:14. This is one of my favorite synth bass parts.

Jazzyman17

Post by Jazzyman17 » Fri Nov 19, 2021 8:52 am

AnalogKid wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 2:16 pm
How do you make this PPG bass sound? The bass kicks in at 0:14. This is one of my favorite synth bass parts.

Owowow, sounds definitely like the 013 Clipper waveform.
So set this waveform and then ADSR envelope for VCF so make that sound accenting strongly.
Set the type for quad maybe and make the one of voices 3 octaves higher.

Jazzyman17

Post by Jazzyman17 » Sun Nov 28, 2021 11:56 am

madtheory, ppg_wavecomputer
I get you guys. I see now how much it's compicated.
Well... Some strat-guitar samples from Waveterm A 8" disc seem to be promising and then the theory is born if he took that particular sample and modified a lot. But from the other hand I know that he used A LOT those basic 32 wavetables... I mean you can hear which particularly wavetable he used for each instrument like Clipper for the bass or Synth Mallet for quasi-marimbas. That's why I wanted to engaged in it the geeks of the geeks when it comes to PPG Wave synthesis who spent a half of the life turning knobs on it and know the recipe for a particular sound.
Moreover I BARELY turned out the sound I wanna reach (as I mentioned, I was turning it on Piano/Sax wave), BARELY, which made me feel like there's huge probability it's Piano/Sax wavetable.
But thanks for a response! :D