'Do they know its Christmas' main sound.

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
80snostalgia

'Do they know its Christmas' main sound.

Post by 80snostalgia » Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:30 pm

A few years ago I asked Midge on Twitter what Synths were used on 'Do they Know its Christmas Time? '
He told me DX7 for bells and PPG for everything else.
Whether it was a PPG 2.2 or 2.3.
I have no idea which preset makes that nostalgic sound.

I try to refrain from loving Synth music but nostalgia just keeps calling!

If anyone knows the preset I'd be very interested please!

A link from Synthmania has the sound clips from the presets. Its like a string sound but not in a way.
Is there any modern Synths that can emulate the sound? Appreciate any info.

https://www.synthmania.com/ppg_wave_2.html

2.15 and most of the song.

desmond

Re: 'Do they know its Christmas' main sound.

Post by desmond » Fri Nov 26, 2021 5:01 pm

Play around with PPG plugin and see if you can find the preset, if it was a preset.

Yes, many modern synths can produce similar sounding leads.

Jazzyman17

Post by Jazzyman17 » Sun Nov 28, 2021 11:37 am

Umm... What I can tell you...
The most similar preset I found so far is "Voice 2" from DX7.
In the Arturia's emulation the preset is called "Rom2A 20-VOICE 2".

But it's actually a layered sound. The preset I mentioned is more on the right channel, but there's another buzzing synth on left channel.
But considering that you mean that more voice-like sound then my answer is above.

80snostalgia

Post by 80snostalgia » Sun Nov 28, 2021 2:06 pm

Jazzyman17 wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 11:37 am
Umm... What I can tell you...
The most similar preset I found so far is "Voice 2" from DX7.
In the Arturia's emulation the preset is called "Rom2A 20-VOICE 2".

But it's actually a layered sound. The preset I mentioned is more on the right channel, but there's another buzzing synth on left channel.
But considering that you mean that more voice-like sound then my answer is above.
That's great, thanks.
I also got the same answer from another forum.
On my device, I changed the pitch, length of sound and a slight reverb on Voice sound on my Dexed. Also like you say it does sound layered.

I slowed down the original and it distinctively has the voice preset.

Someone on this video thought different.

Last edited by 80snostalgia on Sun Nov 28, 2021 3:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Jazzyman17

Post by Jazzyman17 » Sun Nov 28, 2021 3:04 pm

Sweet girl by his side, by the way.

Hm, one thing he said which made my mind blowing was "too analogue to be addictive". Well, means that PPG Wave is analogue? :lol:
Pitty that he didn't try to remade this on Waldorf's plugin.
The fact is that you could remade such a sound just by cutting off frequencies on saw wave.
Actually I cannot hear much of the sound of the instrument used in the original, which is matter of how this very soft sound is being drown by the rest of instruments.
Later I will work with 2S Vocal Remover (software that extracts the certain fragment from the stereo image) and we will see.

80snostalgia

Post by 80snostalgia » Sun Nov 28, 2021 4:47 pm

Jazzyman17 wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 3:04 pm
Sweet girl by his side, by the way.

Hm, one thing he said which made my mind blowing was "too analogue to be addictive". Well, means that PPG Wave is analogue? :lol:
Pitty that he didn't try to remade this on Waldorf's plugin.
The fact is that you could remade such a sound just by cutting off frequencies on saw wave.
Actually I cannot hear much of the sound of the instrument used in the original, which is matter of how this very soft sound is being drown by the rest of instruments.
Later I will work with 2S Vocal Remover (software that extracts the certain fragment from the stereo image) and we will see.
Cool I'll have to get myself 2S Vocal Remover as I like listening to instrumentals.
I'm having problems uploading my slowed down version of 'do they know its Christmas' on here as its very apparent of the vocal instrument sound.
I didn't find any presets from this page that were apparent so I'm going with the DX7 no matter what Midge says lol. I'd find the post if you wanna see it.

https://www.synthmania.com/ppg_wave_2.html

Jazzyman17

Post by Jazzyman17 » Sun Nov 28, 2021 6:45 pm

80snostalgia wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 4:47 pm

I didn't find any presets from this page that were apparent so I'm going with the DX7 no matter what Midge says lol. I'd find the post if you wanna see it.
Umm, sorry, but by a chance I skipped the fact that the producer himself told you that he used PPG Wave for "everything else". So well... If SynthMania plays here with all factory presets and you say you didn't find then probably producer made this sound by himself.
But as I said, cutting frequencies to this level, you'd make such a sound with literally almost every wavetable.