TR-606 mod development

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
JimMarshall35

TR-606 mod development

Post by JimMarshall35 » Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:42 pm

Hello guys,
I've got a tr-606 drum machine which my dad has lent me on a long term basis. I'm not much of a musician but I'm a programmer with an interest in hardware and I'm kind of fascinated by it as I love electronic music and the sound it can make and I appreciate its place in history! I've always loved playing with it since I was a kid and I pretty much know how to operate it but I wouldn't consider myself very good at programming beats.

I've seen the quicksilver mod available from Social Entropy which looks really cool and has a lot of "quality of life" improvements that would make it just so much better.

I've not really got any intention of buying it but what I would like to do is make my own version. Not for commercial gain but just for fun and to learn from it, and then give it back to my dad who I know will be chuffed with the changes.

I've got some professional experience as a C# programmer for a scientific instrument company on the windows application side. I'm not an expert in any of this and I've not even been a programmer for that long and my background is as a chemist, but I do really enjoy it and I know C and C++ fairly well also.

In a nutshell I feel confident enough about embedded programming, data sheets, and that sort of thing that I could learn enough about it and attempt the mod.

The reason that I'm making this post is that I'm hoping that someone on here might be able to help me out in some capacity and know about the 606 or the quicksilver mod or maybe want to collaborate. I don't know really know anything about electronics, especially analog electronics.

I've found some pretty in depth documentation and schematics about the 606 and its CPU chip and I suppose you'd need to use a logic analyzer and that sort of thing. I'm in a good position to try that sort of thing out and know some electronic and firmware engineers who I work with who'd no doubt offer expert advice if I got the ball rolling.

Like I said though - I'm not that much of an embedded programmer (I've made one or two embedded projects for fun) and I don't know much about electronics really.

Thanks guys and gals :D ,
Jim

crochambeau
Gear: Various old polys, some drum machines & samplers, homebrew mayhem, repurposed industrial electronics, and other heaps of dusty old junk.
Band: [view]

Re: TR-606 mod development

Post by crochambeau » Sat Aug 06, 2022 5:13 pm

I'm certainly mod curious, I don't know how much help I can provide in such a process though.

JimMarshall35

Re: TR-606 mod development

Post by JimMarshall35 » Thu Aug 11, 2022 8:32 am

I'll let you know how I get one - hopefully start this soon :D