ARP Odyssey - Signal Flow Diagram

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
EdgarRothermich
Gear:EMS Synthi AKS, Moog Grandmother, various Euroracks
ARP Odyssey - Signal Flow Diagram

Post by EdgarRothermich » Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:59 am

Here is a new signal flow diagram that I created for the ARP Odyssey. The hi-res png file is available as a free download from my website where you can find nine other synth diagrams.
http://dingdingmusic.com/-tech-/diagrams.html

This is a little hobby of mine, creating those diagrams. Many users who start diving into the wonderful world of synthesizers are scared or intimidated by these graphics, but I encourage everybody to learn how to read them because they help to develop a much better understanding of how a specific synth works and what you can do with it.

Anybody who is familiar with my best-selling book series “Graphically Enhanced Manuals” http://dingdingmusic.com/-gem-/graphica ... nuals.html , knows that I’m a big fan of visual learning. Exploring a synth by following the CV Signals and Audio Signals with your "finger on a map" lets you explore sound configurations before grabbing the knobs or patch cords.

For this diagram, I used the original Odyssey MarkIII (a loaner from Christopher Franke that he used in his Tangerine Dream days), but I added the Filter Mode and Drive switch that is available on the later Korg and Behringer model.

Enjoy
Edgar Rothermich
Author of the best-selling book series "Graphically Enhanced Manuals (GEM)"
Pro Tools, Logic Pro, GarageBand, Final Cut Pro
http://DingDingMusic.com

davidGGlines

Re: ARP Odyssey - Signal Flow Diagram

Post by davidGGlines » Fri Mar 26, 2021 9:03 am

Thanks for the diagrams.

I've got an Oberheim OB-X recently and it's pretty much good. But I didn't have much time to research the specs and download the diagrams. Have some free time at last now.

KayBur

Post by KayBur » Fri Mar 26, 2021 12:43 pm

Visual learning is actually the easiest thing to do, it's clearer than a wall of text. The main thing is to understand the principle of presenting information on infographics.

blueknob
Gear:ESi32/E6400U, Novation Supernova, Ensoniq, vintage Macs and the like.

Post by blueknob » Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:32 am

As a child I was looking at electronic circuit diagrams and soon learnt how the circuits worked. Circuit diagrams for televisions were good, very well conceived. I suppose that got me knowing what was the correct way to impart fine detail. So now I can look at a technical diagram and get the story in seconds. I'm not a genius but know if the job is done correctly fast transfers of info is possible.
It goes wrong when a diagram is done by someone who doesn't "get it", their diagrams are usually confusing and misleading.

I have found though, to some people a diagram is overwhelming, they seem to shut off, block it out and refuse to try. They seem to prefer long winded texts to read. I find that tiresome, just gimme a diagram and I'll get it in seconds!

OP ya might like to try the Boog. B synth manuals are not good. I have the Moog manual, I was thinking to do a diagram, there's a few subtle differences between the Minimoog and Boog that would be good to see (in a diagram).