Yamaha Reface CS, Korg Microkorg, JD-Xi and JU-06a vintage sound shopping!

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
80snostalgia
Yamaha Reface CS, Korg Microkorg, JD-Xi and JU-06a vintage sound shopping!

Post by 80snostalgia » Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:44 pm

Deciding between Synths is like choosing chocolate! :)
I've got 4 I'm looking at. I'm not looking to see if it can save patches or sequence.
I want to find which sound more vintage as in 70s/80s my favourite Synth era.
Which are the most clever at changing sounds?
My favourite music is Ultravox, Gary Numan and Tears for Fears to name a few.
I want to make sure I buy a Synth that I can use to it's full tuneful potential.
Any advice appreciated.

I'm looking to at least buy 2, but which 2?

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear:Wurlitzer Opus 1536, Model F, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.

Re: Yamaha Reface CS, Korg Microkorg, JD-Xi and JU-06a vintage sound shopping!

Post by madtheory » Wed Jan 27, 2021 3:58 pm

Why two? To get the sounds you want you'll need a synth more flexible than any of those. For the price of two of those, you can get a Korg Prologue. Or even better value, Behringer Deep Mind 12. Roland JDxa is fab but maybe outside the budget here?

80snostalgia

Post by 80snostalgia » Wed Jan 27, 2021 5:20 pm

madtheory wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 3:58 pm
Why two? To get the sounds you want you'll need a synth more flexible than any of those. For the price of two of those, you can get a Korg Prologue. Or even better value, Behringer Deep Mind 12. Roland JDxa is fab but maybe outside the budget here?
Decisions, decisions, yes it's all about budget at the moment, but I see the Deep Mind 12 not bad, you think this will be better than the others I mentioned?

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear:Wurlitzer Opus 1536, Model F, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.

Post by madtheory » Wed Jan 27, 2021 5:25 pm

For your criterion:
80snostalgia wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:44 pm
Which are the most clever at changing sounds?
Yes :)

Mixolydian
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by Mixolydian » Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:30 pm

I like reface CS, Microkorg, and the JU-06a.

The Microkorg has a lot of sound designer patches you can buy - and some are really good. I almost bought a 15th anniversary edition Microkorg last month, but someone beat me to it. I really like the silver face on it. Korg will likely do a 20th anniversary edition in 2022 (quite a milestone in synthesizer production!)

The CS is another VA that I've almost bought several times. And the JU-06a is great, especially as you can switch between the 60 and 106.

Sorry, I've been no help at all.

80snostalgia

Post by 80snostalgia » Sat Feb 20, 2021 1:18 am

Mixolydian wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:30 pm
I like reface CS, Microkorg, and the JU-06a.

The Microkorg has a lot of sound designer patches you can buy - and some are really good. I almost bought a 15th anniversary edition Microkorg last month, but someone beat me to it. I really like the silver face on it. Korg will likely do a 20th anniversary edition in 2022 (quite a milestone in synthesizer production!)

The CS is another VA that I've almost bought several times. And the JU-06a is great, especially as you can switch between the 60 and 106.

Sorry, I've been no help at all.
No problem, good to know other people's views on Synths.

JeEA

Post by JeEA » Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:37 am

The korg has a lot to offer in terms of sounds. It is a great synth. The JU-06A is typical Roland sound. Sounds great but is limited in sound design.
I have both and would choose korg over the ju.

The jdxi gives you a sequencer and drums from 808 and 909. It also gives you a monophonic analog synthesizer in addition to its digital synthesis.

I would go for the JDXI or wait for the poly 800 from Behringer which is a prophet 600 clone🤪
Price tag should be in the ballpark as the other ones you mentioned.
Br
Jens

sandwich

Post by sandwich » Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:16 pm

I have the Prologue 16 and absolutely love it. It has a proper analogue synth user interface with real knobs and switches like the classic analogue synths of the past. It sounds absolutely fantastic used just as an analogue, but it also has a digital section if you want to dig deeper and this really opens it up even more.

madtheory wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 3:58 pm

V301H
Gear:Fender The Strat, Stratocaster, Jazz Bass Rickenbacker 360-12, 320 Messenger(Mark Farner)
Band:The Characters

Post by V301H » Sun Feb 21, 2021 6:48 pm

If you are a big Ultravox fan your first Synth should be an Odyssey. The Behringer version seems to have the most features at the lowest price but Korg also makes reproductions including a module version.
Prophet 5 rev.2, Pro-One, Juno 60, Jupiter 6, Matrix 12, OB8, MS20, Poly 800, CS70M, DX-7, CP35, Casio PX-5S, Hammond C3/M102, Vox Continental/Super Continental, Gibson G101, Farfisa Compact, RMI 300A, Pianet N, Combo Pianet, S770, S760, S50, NS3C