A simple midi question

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
GarrisonHale

A simple midi question

Post by GarrisonHale » Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:09 am

hey guys please forgive my ignorance. I'm sure someone can answer this question for me easily. I'm thinking of buying an Alesis Micron and I'd like to hook up another midi keyboard to it to extend the range using both the micron keyboard and the midi keyboard. I also have a midi organ foot pedalboard which I'd like to connect as well. Can I connect both external devices to the micron by using the 'thru' connector on the midi keyboard? Could I also then theoretically connect the micron to the computer as a midi keyboard and have all 3 keyboards controlling software synths at the same time? thanksappvalley tutuapp tweakbox
Last edited by GarrisonHale on Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

desmond

Re: A simple midi question

Post by desmond » Fri Jul 16, 2021 9:51 am

No, that’s not how a MIDI thru port works (hint: it’s an output).

You’d need two MIDI inputs on the synth to do what you want, or merge them somehow. Easier to connect the input devices to the computer and then route that to your synth, you can play it by all the keyboards you have that way.