A question about samples and synthesis

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
briandc
Gear: 4 Midi controllers and anything linux! :)

A question about samples and synthesis

Post by briandc » Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:35 pm

Hi everyone,
I would like to know if anyone can explain how a sample-synthesizer (I have a Yamaha Motif) "interprets" the samples, and how "correct" they are compared to the original instruments.
For example, let's say I have a sample of a Moog lead, with the Moog ladder filter. Now if I want to adjust the filter setting (cutoff and resonance) in my synthesizer, how will that "interpret" the sound? My thought is that it won't have the same results as with the original Moog synth.

Thanks in advance for any help,
Brian
Feeling trapped behind Windows? Try linux: More than 500 flavors to choose from!
LinuxSynths.com
amSynth on Soundcloud

desmond

Re: A question about samples and synthesis

Post by desmond » Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:02 pm

Any additional filter you run a sample through may or may not have any relation to what features were on the source synth.

Often, raw waveforms are sampled with the filter wide open, and then you use the filter on your sample-playback machine to do the filtering.

You can of course sample from machines with filters closed down, or resonating, so that filter sound will be "baked into" the samples - any additional filtering from other filters in the playback machine will filter than sample too.

You will only get similar results in your sample if the sound was sampled with the Moog filter wide open, and the playback synthesizer (Motif in this case) has an authentically modelled Moog-style analog filter type. It probably doesn't, it probably has a bunch of more generic Yamaha digital filter models, but I don't know exactly. But no, it's unlikely to sound the same.

briandc
Gear: 4 Midi controllers and anything linux! :)

Post by briandc » Tue Jan 25, 2022 7:45 pm

desmond wrote:
Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:02 pm
Any additional filter you run a sample through may or may not have any relation to what features were on the source synth.

Often, raw waveforms are sampled with the filter wide open, and then you use the filter on your sample-playback machine to do the filtering.

You can of course sample from machines with filters closed down, or resonating, so that filter sound will be "baked into" the samples - any additional filtering from other filters in the playback machine will filter than sample too.

You will only get similar results in your sample if the sound was sampled with the Moog filter wide open, and the playback synthesizer (Motif in this case) has an authentically modelled Moog-style analog filter type. It probably doesn't, it probably has a bunch of more generic Yamaha digital filter models, but I don't know exactly. But no, it's unlikely to sound the same.
Thanks desmond. This is pretty much what I was thinking was the case but it's nice to get an explanation in any case. It makes sense for the filter to be completely open, in order for all of the harmonics to be present in the "destination synth (eg. Motif). In fact that's also the approach I use when using sample-based synths on my computers: get "raw" waveforms and then process them in the sampler. It's fun to hear the differences between the different filters (even though they may both be labeled as "24dB LPF"). I like using filters almost completely closed, to hear the "character" of both the filter and the waveform as much as possible. :)

Thanks again!

Brian
Feeling trapped behind Windows? Try linux: More than 500 flavors to choose from!
LinuxSynths.com
amSynth on Soundcloud

desmond

Post by desmond » Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:12 pm

You're welcome!