Does anyone use a Sequential Circuits MAX?

Discussions about anything analog, digital, MIDI, synth technology, techniques, theories and more.
KalinsFarm

Does anyone use a Sequential Circuits MAX?

Post by KalinsFarm » Thu Oct 11, 2007 2:44 am

A friend is giving me a Sequential Circuits MAX which, from what I read, is a preset box that needs a C64 computer for editing. I see it has classic CEM internals but it still seems kind of lame.

Are there any good sounds in this box? Is there another editor? Any DIY mods?
www.virb.com/intaglioblue
PEK, Fizmo, MS2k, Electro61, Absynth, Karma, ESQ-1, Eps16+, MG-1, M-tron, Reason, Atmosphere, Kantos

elmosexwhistle
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Band: Elmo Sexwhistle

Post by elmosexwhistle » Thu Oct 11, 2007 3:50 pm

quoted from this very site:

"For those of you who want to edit the sounds on the Max, you will need Sequential's Model 920 software and an ancient Commodore 64 computer or you can use Mark of the Unicorn's Unisyn software editor for Mac/PC (You can even use modern MIDI controllers like the Oxygen-8)."

so i'm guessing if you can get your hands on unisyn or a knobby control box, then you're onto a winner ^.^ x

moogplayer
Gear: minimoog, synare PS2, roland vp-330, monomachine, roland paraphonic rs-505, roland sh2, roland rs-09, boss dr-55, synsonics drums, moog prodigy

Post by moogplayer » Thu Oct 11, 2007 4:08 pm

I say get a Commodore 64...and while you're at it, get a cynthcart and prophet 64!
minimoog, synare PS2, roland vp-330, monomachine, roland paraphonic rs-505, roland sh2, roland rs-09, boss dr-55, synsonics drums, moog prodigy

Multiplex
http://multiplexmusic.bandcamp.com

Muniq
http://muniq.bandcamp.com

elmosexwhistle
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor
Band: Elmo Sexwhistle

Post by elmosexwhistle » Thu Oct 11, 2007 4:12 pm

i wonder if it would work with an emulator and some kind of home made serial cable?

here's a youtube demo with some bloke using some kind of midi controller to control cutoff and resonance and things like that...sounds bloody nice aswell ^.^ x

KalinsFarm

Post by KalinsFarm » Fri Oct 12, 2007 1:56 am

Duh, I don't know why I didn't look on uTube. Thanks Elmo.

Well, maybe since it was designed by Mr MIDI himself the internals have MIDI assignments. It looks like it from the video.

EDIT: ...and here they are http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/2163/scicon.html
www.virb.com/intaglioblue
PEK, Fizmo, MS2k, Electro61, Absynth, Karma, ESQ-1, Eps16+, MG-1, M-tron, Reason, Atmosphere, Kantos